Carburetor linkage

Mel

My '66 has the Studebaker linkage from the pedal to the top of the engine.  The linkage to the carburetor is bent to pass under the air cleaner.  (See photo.)  Does anyone have a setup that is more direct with less slop and play?

Avanti throttle setup.jpg

I believe you are missing a spring that runs from the linkage sideways to the valve cover. Installing the spring may be all that you need to eliminate the slop. I’ll follow up tomorrow with a picture with the spring connected.

I have attached a picture of a spring that mounts crossways from the accelerator linkage on my 64 Avanti. I looked at my 70 and 81 Avanti and they didn’t have the spring. You could try to connect a spring up and see if it helps! I have never seen a reason to bend the accelerator rod in such a manner to clear the air cleaner. What air cleaner is installed on your 66? Also, doesn’t that bend effect the full throttle from the paddle? It appears that you would no longer have full throttle available.

6EEF416D-A589-4025-BB3F-507B5781B269.jpeg

Generally most of the slop is in the lower pivot from the gas pedal. There is a pivot block that passes through a hole, and it wears. The hole also wears egg shaped too. 

Thanks, Brad, for the tip.  I've seen that before but had forgotten about it.

1inxs:  I had a (second) spring setup similar to yours which I felt wasn't doing much besides making the pedal pressure required greater.  The air cleaner is what came with the car when I bought it 12+ years ago.  Its bottom edge is below the level of the carburetor; hence, the need for the bent linkage.  Perhaps I should try to find a different air cleaner which will accomodate the PCV system.

Thanks, guys.