Trivia Answers

Guest dapy

When a trivia question is posted, with or without a respondent's answer, shouldn't the correct answer be posted (and explained) in a timely manner by the person who posted the question? Also the trivia source should be noted with the answer. Wouldn't that complete the "trivia" cycle?

I can agree with that...but what defines a "timely manner"? I'm not trying to bust your chops...but not everyone who might want to post an answer is online every day or has immediate access to a source that might provide the answer.

I enjoy the trivia stuff...lots of stuff I've never heard or seen anywhere. For the most part, though...I have the same books, etc., that the poster often has in coming up with questions. I guess I'm better at looking up answers than coming up with the questions.

Maybe some kind of "trivia rule" can be agreed to for when an unanswered question gets answered.

Fine by me, but is it really a problem or part of an ongoing catfight? ☺

If I were to have any negative thoughts on the trivia section it would be taking it too seriously, or too hyper. I've observed questions being answered by the questioner within maybe 24 hours, simply because nobody answered them. Personally, there shouldn't be an urgency to get an answer, but that's just me. Some kind of reference regarding answers seems reasonable, but if there's going to be an undue burden of proof on uncontested answers it may turn the trivia section into an echo chamber.

Edit:Here's a question we may be able to use as an example-a week ago I asked a question titled "Tow Vehicle". Nobody posted the answer so I've done nothing. It's only been a week and whatever happens (or doesn't) regarding that trivia question doesn't really matter to me. If it was critical to someone to know the answer ASAP obviously they could PM me for an answer. So, am I part of a problem, solution, or a non-event?

Edited by GlennW

Trivia is just as the name suggests. Minutia concerning little known common knowledge topics.

I personally don't follow the trivia section but do check it occasionally.

I don't have these answers but might be interested in knowing the answer.

And as "Boutique" cars, there are lots of unknowns.

At least someone is trying to catalog and document the facts regarding our unique cars for us all.

Here's a suggestion. Instead of asking an open-ended question, perhaps the question could be asked, occasionally, as

"Did you know that ......(fill in the blank) ?" That way info is dissimilated to us all without causing undue consternation

to whomever might be "tweaked" by the question.

If nothing else, there might be a small home-based publication here. A listing of the trivia, and the answers of course,

for anyone wishing to obtain the little-known history about our cars. A "cottage industry" perhaps waiting to be tapped into.

Another source of info to accompany and enhance our ownerships. One never knows.

Every other marque has these so why not ours?

MOPAR has Galen Govier.

FORD has "The Marty Report".

Pontiac has the "PHS".

Chevrolet has hundreds of experts.

Maybe it is time for someone to step-up and be considered The "guru" of our particular obsessions. Or not.

All at an affordable price of course. A very small potential audience but possibly a source of fun for those interested. Maybe not.

Just a few random thoughts about this seemingly touchy topic.

Don't shoot the messenger!

I'd like to see answers referenced with a source. Facts in isolation can be fun, but facts that lead to more information create knowledge. As for unanswered questions, the originator should either answer them after a reasonable tine, say a week, or move on. Bumping them back to the top of the list is wasted effort.

Dennis

The idea of a home-based information publication sounds like a reasonable idea but I don't see such an all-compassing expert within the Avanti world. We're all finding out things that were either previously unknown or were simply wrong based on unearthed information. While Studebaker built Avantis are probably easier to come up with a real guide to how things were done and the history...post-Studebaker Avanti history and what's correct is full of unknowns and misinformation due to the custom status of every car and lack of internal company history documentation. Much of what we know of the Altman era of Avanti production is by oral history that's been passed down...and has that history been passed down accurately?

The fact that production orders are available for most all Avantis is probably the one most important asset we have as to how each individual car was built, but that doesn't tell us of the decisions and processes as well as corporate intrigues that are behind that production. Most of those who witnessed those events are likely no longer with us or have left no written record of what transpired.

As far as designating a "guru" of the Avanti, that would be tough. Brad Bez and Jack Vines who post here occasionally probably know the mechanical end of the cars as well or better than anyone else here. Other sources like Jon Myer or Dan Booth could be considered in that class but they don't post here but are usually happy to help if you call and ask.

For the history of the car, probably John Hull is a prime candidate as he's written several books on the subject.

Richard Quinn of the SDC has what appears to be an enormous trove of Studebaker documents from a variety of sources...he published on their forum and later in the Turning Wheels what he referred to as the "Lamberti Papers"...lots of official Studebaker decision making and behind the scenes history of the Avanti.

There's probably many members and Avanti aficionados who have a great deal of knowledge, but I don't believe anyone is the one all-encompassing "guru". If someone wants to step-up and put together such a treatise...have at it. It takes dedication, the love of the subject, a thick hide so the incoming arrows don't hurt too badly...and time...which few of us actually have for such a project.

I like the trivia idea. I like that it has engaged more people in this forum. As "entertainment" it is good. But if it discourages other helpful questions and answers (not classified as trivia) I would be concerned. I count the trivia responders and typically they are the same time after time. They are the guru's that Gunny mentions and they are often helpful, but few in number. So the game of trivia must have lots of amused lurkers, but only a few who participate. In addition there is a marked absence of AOAI management at this forum. Their participation could suggest approval of how trivia benefits the membership. Day to day when you look at new posts most are trivia questions. Makes one wonder...why?

Isn't it time for more serious forum content and better balance of information?

I have to throw in my 2 cents, as I am one of the (sometimes) participants and sometimes lurkers...

The information gleaned off this forum is very much interesting to me, but not always all of it. That is not a problem as I am capable of filtering what I need. I am sure all who visit this forum are, too.

A point that was brought up that I agree with is source. If you pose a question and present an answer please provide a reference. Short and sweet is OK. I look at this forum almost as much as a learning tool as entertainment. I get both out of it.

I like to see questions from other participants but I have no control over that. Time to hit the books and see what I can come up with... Enjoy.

Edited by StudeNorm

In two weeks questions and interest is long past. And that is really my point...too many questions, too few answers and the clutter is still there. Please quote me accurately or not at all.

I agree that a two week time period is too long, long past the interest part. How about 3-4 days from posting time of the question?

I agree that a two week time period is too long, long past the interest part. How about 3-4 days from posting time of the question?

I could try that...we'll see if that meets Dapy's approval!!

The idea of any forum is to draw more readers and participants.
This trivia quiz is a good way of doing that.
Ed should be commended for taking the time and effort to do it.

Having said that....
It is my opinion..... (and you know that opinions are like @$$#0!es, all you ever get out of them is....)

* Trivia questions should me metered out and not gushed out.
One question a day would be fine, and it would pull people back every day..

* Let the question 'age' for a day to give respondents time to read it before the 'correct' answer is revealed.
(Not everyone lives at their keyboard waiting for the 'reply notice' to kick out)

* Put the link address in every 'reminder' that gets posted on the other forum(s)..
Not everybody has everything AOAI tattoo'd to their brain....

* Be patient when nobody puts in an answer in 4 hours......
A lot of people work and can only look at any forum late in the evening, or even only on weekends.

Piddly, I knw... But it would make this better...

Edited by DEEPNHOCK

Lots of good points made in the posts above.

Same few people responding

No need to "rain" trivia, a question or two a day is fine

Timely answers or verification of an answer

Others should offer their trivia questions

Reference source for answer

Perhaps if one answers a question correctly, he/she is a knowledgable Avanti owner and should post a question. That would bring a little a little variety and widen the scope rather than having most of the trivia coming from one source. Although it's been said that the trivia has increased interest in the site in general, I haven't noticed any big changes in the amount of message input in the other sub forums. For the most part, the trivia questions don't tend to spark much conversation. A few have, but most haven't.