Carpet source suggestion

J Boyle

I've noticed that mid-year Corvettes have salt & pepper carpeting.

Corvette suppliers might be a source for correct carpeting.

Although I'm sure the Studebaker suppliers might already be using the stuff, I'll guess that no one makes Studebaker specific carpeting, and there were a lot more Corvettes than Avantis.

Who knows, maybe Studebaker used the same source back in the day?

Just a suggestion....

I don't believe anyone is reproducing the salt and pepper carpets for Avantis in any color. From what I understand, the closest that's been found isn't that close. After a certain serial number, all cars were to receive black carpeting with no options. That would include all '64 models and possibly some later '63s but I don't have the exact serial number handy. The parts manual doesn't reflect that change but a factory service letter specified all carpeting would be changed to black.

As to your question regarding Corvettes having similar carpeting, it's possible as vendors were often used by more than one carmaker. Most Corvette carpet suppliers will send you samples for examination for the asking. No reason not to try that and if you find the correct match, see if they'll supply you a sufficient amount of carpeting that can be cut and installed in your Avanti.

If you find that to be the case, please report back to us. Many Avanti owners are looking for the right carpeting and finding a new source is always welcome.

Edited by Gunslinger

I bought mine from Phantom a few years ago. I got samples from several outfits and chose the one closest to what I saw in the Avanti salemans book. So far no one's complained. :)

My point is, if someone doesn't like what's out the from the usual Avanti vendors, try Corvette vendors.

I replaced the carpet in my Avanti last year. I ordered it from Rene at Southeast Studebaker. Salt and pepper Turquoise and Black. Great quality and perfect fit. I could not be happier with the product. He will send you samples ahead of time on request. I also installed the Dynamat insulation everywhere before installing the carpet. It is is much quieter and cooler at the floor and console areas...Mike

You can get the speckled carpet material from SMC Auto Fabrics in Oregon. Here is their website to the "Tuxedo" style carpet page, which is the name for the speckled carpet that our Avantis use.

http://www.smsautofabrics.com/products/carpet.php

Click on their sample link and they will send you a sample of the material. They can make up the carpet sets for our cars too, and their prices are very good.

post-2-0-61382700-1390927876_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

I just received a sample of SMS' Tuxedo carpet in elk and black. It looks pretty good. Certainly as close to the original as you are likely to find anywhere these days. I'm waiting to hear what their price for a carpet set is, but unless its really high, I think I have found the source for my car's carpeting. I've also asked them if they can make a set of mats out of the same matieral to go with it to protect the carpet. We'll see what they say.

• 5 weeks later...

I just received a sample of SMS' Tuxedo carpet in elk and black. It looks pretty good. Certainly as close to the original as you are likely to find anywhere these days. I'm waiting to hear what their price for a carpet set is, but unless its really high, I think I have found the source for my car's carpeting. I've also asked them if they can make a set of mats out of the same matieral to go with it to protect the carpet. We'll see what they say.

-Update?