Steering Column

Raybader

The column is a GM tilt column with a Chrysler key, and most GM cars from an extended period (about 1970 to 1987) used basically the same design (other car makers like Avanti and Chrysler bought their columns from GM). I believe the steering wheel bolt pattern is the GM 3-bolt pattern. I assume you intend getting an aftermarket steering wheel (MOMO, Nardi, etc) so you need a column adapter (of the spacer height you want) for that make of steering wheel, and a horn button, to bolt to a GM column of that era.

Examples: https://www.carid.com/chrysler-steering-wheel-spacers-adapters/

I think that's how I approached finding an adapter to put a Nardi steering wheel in my tilt-column 1971 Avanti many years ago, but that memory is long gone.

Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motorcars might be able to give you more information (he may even sell steering wheels)

I was told that the steering column in my '78 is from American Motors cars ca.1974.   The attached picture is a '74 Javelin.

IIRC, these steering columns were made by Saginaw, who also supplied GM, so there may be some parts interchange.

74 Javelin.jpg

Agree....The tilt steering column used in your '78 Avanti was shared by most GM, AMC, and Chrysler vehicles of that same era.....Wheel adapters and internal column parts are easy to come by!:)

Thanks everyone. I thought it was a Chrysler product since it has a Chrysler key. This makes it simpler since i already have a couple of GM adapters on the shelf.I need to find a smaller wheel or lose some weight. 🙂

Edited by Raybader

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, you can replace the Chrysler key and lock with a GM unit. I'm not a Mopar fan at all and my OCD side just couldn't handle turning a Chrysler key to start a Chevy/GM engine.  Just felt wrong so I swapped them. 🤪