What is my differential DANA 44 ??

Devildog

I need to rebuild my differential sometime in future on my 1975 RQ-B 2295. It is a twin traction according to the build sheet.

I think it is a DANA 44...would that be correct ? Any advice on verifying with number on differential case?

thanks in advance

Joe

Dana (or Spicer) 44 would be correct barring someone having changed it at some point. There may be a tag on the case stamped with the axle ratio but that might well be long gone. There may also a tag stating it's a Twin Traction (or Twin Traction and the axle ratio) but how common that might have been I don't know.

If you look online for photos of a Dana 44 you should be able to visually ID it as one.

I need to rebuild my differential sometime in future on my 1975 RQ-B 2295. It is a twin traction according to the build sheet.

I think it is a DANA 44...would that be correct ? Any advice on verifying with number on differential case?

thanks in advance

Joe

Joe

I believe the early 44's had that # cast into the housing but the later ones like my 74 and 83 do not. Bruce is correct that a quick search of the net will give you photo ID. The Dana diff covers are unique enough to give a quick ID.

The rebuild bearing and seal kit I used was from a Scout II with Dana 44. If I can help when you decide to rebuild just post here. FYI, Dana has their complete rebuild manual on line so finding the methodology is quite straight forward.

Bob

My 76 RQB 2392 has a Dana 44 Twin Traction 3:31 in it. I would think yours probably is similarly equipped.

My "Touring Optioned Coupe" came with a 2.86 differintial. Were they the only ones thusly equiped?

Charlie RQB3921

I'm guessing your car has a 4-speed overdrive automatic. That would account for a different rear axle ratio...the tranny has a lower first gear and overdrive fourth so there's no need for a higher numerical ratio in the rear.

What year is your car? Does it have the Stude or Chevy frame? It sounds like the car has the GM frame and probably the GM drive train components as well.