Trailer Hitch for Avanti

avantir3

I was thinking of putting a 2 inch square trailer hitch on my Avanti. Does anyone know what model no. or company that has one for me? I went to a couple of companies but the car is not listed in their books. Thanks Roland

Avanti Motors sold a hitch as a factory option...I believe it was Class 1 but aren't sure. It definitely was not a receiver type but a bar. I've no idea who made it for them...it could have been locally sourced and fabricated.

They show up on Ebay every now and then and I've almost bought one several times just to have it, but never pulled the trigger to do so. I nearly purchased a Dorsett Catalina cabin cruiser recently that was designed by Raymond Loewy. If I had, I would have wanted to to tow it with my '70 to shows. But...since I know little about boats and no idea what I might have been getting into I didn't.

I would check with either Jon Myers or Dan Booth and see if one of them has a hitch in stock. Dan purchased all the parts inventory from Avanti Motors when they moved to Youngstown so he may well have hitches in stock,,,maybe even NOS. I think they were originally chromed but who knows what shape the chrome on a 30 year old hitch...NOS or not, may be.

Roland

I purchased my 74 Avanti II from the original owner whom purchased it directly from Avanti Motors in South bend in 1974.

He wanted the car to drive and pull a boat trailer.

Here are a couple of shots of the towing setup installed by Avanti Motors.

P1020008.jpg

P1020009.jpg

Let me know if you need more info.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

Roland

I purchased my 74 Avanti II from the original owner whom purchased it directly from Avanti Motors in South bend in 1974.

He wanted the car to drive and pull a boat trailer.

Here are a couple of shots of the towing setup installed by Avanti Motors.

P1020008.jpg

P1020009.jpg

Let me know if you need more info.

Bob

A few years back I thought I'd finally get a hitch for my '88. Simple right? Just go to the hitch place and tell them to put a Monte Carlo hitch on - WRONG! The hitch guy said that my frame (was) a Monte UNTIL the Avanti factory cut-off some of the rear frame. I wound up going to a specialty welder (also does snow plow hook-ups) who fabricated one he rated at 2000# max. I have to say, whether I was hauling my small boat or currently my paint-matching enclosed cargo trailer - my fellow drivers are surprised to see a Sports Car with a trailer!!!