New 1975 Avanti owner, ??post pics

Devildog

Hi all

just bought a 1975 Avanti. I need some comments from you experienced people about wheels.

I would like to attach a couple of pics, but can not understand how ? I post pics on Corvette forum easily, but not clear here.

Many thanks

Welcome to forum and to Avanti's!

The car uses 15"x6" wheels with a 4 1/2" bolt circle. Any wider wheel, especially in the front, can cause clearance problems. If your car has sagging coil springs (which is common), the tires can rub the body when hitting a bump. Too wide a tire or rim can cause it to hit the suspension as well on a full left or right turn.

Outside of that, you can use most any rim that makes you happy. Some have gone to 16" or 17" rims but you need to keep the overall height of the tire consistent as the 15" wheel/tire combination.

As far as posting pics, you're kinda limited using the forum software. You might be better using a hosting site like Photobucket and link to it using the toolbar right above the dialogue box.

BTW - what Corvette do you have? I have a '69 427 3x2 convertible. I'm on a couple of Vette forums.

Thanks Gunslinger,

I have a 61, 73, 95 Corvette. I bought the Avanti because it is sort of a C-1 with back seat

i would love to find a set of wheels as in this pic

TWAShowJun8227copy.jpg

The owner of this car said they were made for Avanti's by Kelsey Hayes. they were a steel rim with aluminum spokes and center. he drove them 17 years without problems.

Would like set.

When you say be careful about going to big a 215/70R15 is about 27 inch diameter..so stay close to that? Width, can you go 235/60R15

Welcome to forum and to Avanti's!

The car uses 15"x6" wheels with a 4 1/2" bolt circle. Any wider wheel, especially in the front, can cause clearance problems. If your car has sagging coil springs (which is common), the tires can rub the body when hitting a bump. Too wide a tire or rim can cause it to hit the suspension as well on a full left or right turn.

Outside of that, you can use most any rim that makes you happy. Some have gone to 16" or 17" rims but you need to keep the overall height of the tire consistent as the 15" wheel/tire combination.

As far as posting pics, you're kinda limited using the forum software. You might be better using a hosting site like Photobucket and link to it using the toolbar right above the dialogue box.

BTW - what Corvette do you have? I have a '69 427 3x2 convertible. I'm on a couple of Vette forums.

Thanks Gunslinger,

I have a 61, 73, 95 Corvette. I bought the Avanti because it is sort of a C-1 with back seat

i would love to find a set of wheels as in this pic

TWAShowJun8227copy.jpg

The owner of this car said they were made for Avanti's by Kelsey Hayes. they were a steel rim with aluminum spokes and center. he drove them 17 years without problems.

Would like set.

When you say be careful about going to big a 215/70R15 is about 27 inch diameter..so stay close to that? Width, can you go 235/60R15

Those wheels look similar to Cobra wheels...same bolt circle. You might look into reproduction Cobra style wheels.

I have P215/70R15 tires on my car. I can't say whether the P235/60R15 will clear as I haven't tried it. They may fit the wheels but fitting the car with no clearance problems I don't know. I'm not saying a taller tire won't work, just that staying close to stock height doesn't change the speedometer accuracy to any appreciable extent.

• 2 weeks later...

Whhels are Kelsey Hayes

They are called "Stripper"

Go to www.akhwheels.com

They are extremely rare

AKH wheels are supposed to have a set

THANK YOU !!

Wheels are Kelsey Hayes

They are called "Stripper"

Go to www.akhwheels.com

They are extremely rare

AKH wheels are supposed to have a set

Thanks again they do have a set, price a bit high, but they are available.

• 2 months later...

My 1983 has 15 X 8" on front and back. 3.5" back spacing on front 4.5" approx on rear. One caviat Steeltech front brakes.

Bob

If you don't mind my asking, when did you get the Steeltech brakes, did they give you any trouble installing them, and how was it dealing with Dave LeVesque? I ask because I find myself in need of more stopping power for my '63 Avanti, and I was initially attracted to the Steeltech setup over the Turner one, because of lower cost (LeVesque uses more commonly available rotors and calipers, from a more recent model car, resulting in cheaper parts), and the larger pad and rotors -- I figure if I'm going to upgrade, I might as well get the maximum possible increase in braking performance. But over at the SDC forum, there are some threads with real horror stories dealing with Steeltech: everything from purchasers going close to a year after they paid without getting their kits, or of getting kits that were incomplete, or of problems with parts that didn't fit properly, and poor support from Steeltech Solutions. The consensus on that forum seems to be that LeVesque is not a basically dishonest guy, just one who probably isn't a very good businessman, and is maybe in over his head. I hesitate to plunk my money down if I am likely to become the latest in a long line of dissatisfied customers, so I have been thinking of the Turner setup instead. What was your experience?

And to the original poster on this thread: are you the same Joe who bought my car from Norfolk, Virginia?

If you don't mind my asking, when did you get the Steeltech brakes, did they give you any trouble installing them, and how was it dealing with Dave LeVesque? I ask because I find myself in need of more stopping power for my '63 Avanti, and I was initially attracted to the Steeltech setup over the Turner one, because of lower cost (LeVesque uses more commonly available rotors and calipers, from a more recent model car, resulting in cheaper parts), and the larger pad and rotors -- I figure if I'm going to upgrade, I might as well get the maximum possible increase in braking performance. But over at the SDC forum, there are some threads with real horror stories dealing with Steeltech: everything from purchasers going close to a year after they paid without getting their kits, or of getting kits that were incomplete, or of problems with parts that didn't fit properly, and poor support from Steeltech Solutions. The consensus on that forum seems to be that LeVesque is not a basically dishonest guy, just one who probably isn't a very good businessman, and is maybe in over his head. I hesitate to plunk my money down if I am likely to become the latest in a long line of dissatisfied customers, so I have been thinking of the Turner setup instead. What was your experience?

And to the original poster on this thread: are you the same Joe who bought my car from Norfolk, Virginia?

Yes, I am. I like your wheels more and more...so I will stay with them.

Billy

I purchased the 83 with the Steeltech system in place, so I have no experience with the company. My experience with the brakes is they perform well. Stopping is straight and comparable to much newer vehicles. I know the reports are a mixed bag of experience with Steeltech so for my 74 I ordered the bracket package from Jim Turner. I then pieced the brake parts together from Rock Auto at a significant savings only because of some close out deals. However, it won't be on the road until mid-2012 so no experience.

As a note, the Turner system uses 90's S-10 calipers and the 11" Mustang vented rotors. If that's not sufficient, in your opinion, then there are a lot of upgraded Mustang rotors available. To Jim's credit, his website lists all of the items necessary for the conversion. As far as availability, I think the Steeltech option uses 70's Mopar rotors so long term availability is probably a wash. I can find the exact rotor if necessary as I have the original boxes the steeltech rotors came in and, I believe they are a Bendix part #.

Lastly, if you desire rubber or braided brake hoses, Jim is posting on the SDC site that he can currently fabricate any rubber brake hose to DOT specs or better and will shortly have braided hoses available also.

I know a lot of the SDC guys are running Jim's system with generally excellent results. I can also tell you from personal experience that Jim is just an email or phone call away from assistance and does know his system and how to trouble shoot it if necessary. He stands behind his products.

Bob

I had the Turner Front Disk Brake set put on my '76 Avanti in November and have been very happy with them. I did also get the rear set, but the mounting brackets did not fit the rear axle,(my car's rear end had 6 bolts on the axle ends instead of 4). I was able to return the rear set with no problems. Jim is great to work with and will do his best to solve any problems you might encounter. The Turner front brake set does a very good and quiet job stopping the car.

• 1 month later...