My 1965 Avanti II VIN 0021 4 Spd, A/C

Dagoneit

I recently went to the NHRA Nationals in Indy and was very impressed with how clean Indy city was and now I have this  car of Mystery, I am almost tempted to go and try to find anyone there who may have actually worked on these cars during the transition times and get some accurate info. But check this out: my car has a 2" narrow hole in the hood right above the A/C Compressor Pulley. They did such a poor job with early Avanti's and alignment that the pulley rubbed right thru the hood. Also, the rear seat has the Studebaker "S" insignia. I love this stuff. 

28 minutes ago, Dagoneit said:

I recently went to the NHRA Nationals in Indy and was very impressed with how clean Indy city was and now I have this  car of Mystery, I am almost tempted to go and try to find anyone there who may have actually worked on these cars during the transition times and get some accurate info. But check this out: my car has a 2" narrow hole in the hood right above the A/C Compressor Pulley. They did such a poor job with early Avanti's and alignment that the pulley rubbed right thru the hood. Also, the rear seat has the Studebaker "S" insignia. I love this stuff. 

I hope that you know that neither the car nor the body were made in Indy.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

I thought that could be the case as well...Avanti Motors would need a certain period to tool up and get practiced in assembling bodies.  They may have already had the Studebaker tooling and fixtures to do so as the sale of everything Avanti presumably would have included such items.  Payroll costs for having in-house people to assemble bodies must have been cheaper than paying MFG to do so plus transporting completed bodies to South Bend.  Some of Avanti Motors's employees may well have been making Avanti bodies for Studebaker before the shutdown.  Stocking fiberglass panels would take up less storage area than completed bodies and probably be far less susceptible to damage.

RQA cars ran from RQA0001 to somewhere over the RQA0400 range or so...and RQB cars started at RQB1500 though there are some discrepancies...serial numbers skipped and not used and numbers outside the accepted ranges so it's difficult to know exactly how many were built if you go strictly by serial numbers.

I have slightly different numbers.  RQA: RQA 0001 through RQA 0423, but not all inclusive.  RQB: starting at RQB 1501.

FYI - Just listed this car on Ebay with an associated 12.5 minute video on Youtube. Please be kind to me with your comments and questions. I don't need to "GET RID" of this fine car. It won't change my life if it stays or if it goes. It may change yours if it goes.  Thanks again everyone here for your input.  -DG

On 12/5/2018 at 6:22 PM, Dagoneit said:

FYI - Just listed this car on Ebay with an associated 12.5 minute video on Youtube. Please be kind to me with your comments and questions. I don't need to "GET RID" of this fine car. It won't change my life if it stays or if it goes. It may change yours if it goes.  Thanks again everyone here for your input.  -DG

Haven't found the e-bay ad or the YouTube video yet!:(

Ebay made me relist the car under vehicles. It's there, search for Avanti Survivor on Ebay. On Youtube, search for "Avanti in Baltimore".  There are 3 videos I listed with updates 10-13 minutes long. Dale 443.370.6212

Edited by Dagoneit
Corrections

Best of luck on your sale.  You refer to the widow of the original owner and originally titled in 1967, yet the title you show from 1967 indicates a previous title number and that the car was sold as a used car.  Neither of these would be the case for a dealer demonstrator.  Please explain (perhaps I am missing something).

EDIT  Nice video.  

EDIT II: It would help, mostly you, if you could get eBay to relocate the listing to cars for sale.  You can probably get this done prior to any bids being placed on the listing.  

Edited by studegary

Looks like you are right. Although it was previously Titled and then sold as "Used", the owners I got it from were told it was NEW and only a Demo. Hard to believe a "Car Salesman" would intentionally deceive a "Buyer". Yuk Yuk. I will update my listings appropriately.  Thanks much. -DG