Expensive Avanti!

mfg

One of the problems Studebaker had in marketing the Avanti was its (for the time) high price, (base price $4445)....In 1963, the median car-buyer annual income was.......?.........

1) $ 8,000........2) $10,000.......3) $13,000.....or......4) $15,000

1 hour ago, Avanti83 said:

I'll guess 1) as that's just under $4/hr and that was good money in 1963

I agree with this statement.  With that said, I do not believe that income had much to do with Avanti sales.   It was that you could buy a Thunderbird, Corvette, Riviera, etc. for the same or even less, money and did not have to wait to get their new car.  I knew several relatives and friends that fell into this category.  Last Wednesday, I had lunch with a guy that was about to buy a 1963 Avanti and ended up with a Corvette.  My sister considered both and bought a Thunderbird for less (when equipped somewhat similarly). A very good friend had a '63 Avanti on order and finally gave up and bought a new '63 Corvette coupe.

2 hours ago, studegary said:

In 1963, the average annual salary was $4396.64.  I was making more than that, but no where near $8000.  I was one of those in the new car market.

Sorry, $4396.64 is INCORRECT!:(---------------------GO BOSTON RED SOX!!!!!!!!!:):):o:):)