Avanti Impact!

mfg

In 1979, an Avanti ll could be ordered with standard Studebaker type front and rear bumpers, eliminating the then normal production impact absorbing bumpers.......True?

24 minutes ago, 1963r2 said:

False

False is CORRECT!....sort of!!....Although a 1979 Avanti ll had to be delivered with the federal safety bumpers, at least one car left the factory with standard Studebaker Avanti bumpers packed away inside the car.

The new owner replaced the federal safety bumpers with the Studebaker versions, which he preferred, then returned the federal bumpers to the factory for a refund.:o

I often wondered if you could retro fit the steel bumpers. Is it a simple case of unbolting one and bolting on the other ?

I'm surprised it didn't happen more often.

I'm curious about this question. This is a 79 Avanti as best I can tell.

1555792-1979-studebaker-avanti-thumb.jpg

A couple of questions. 

The front bumper group appears to much like my 74 so how does the bumper differ from the newer and older models with chrome bumpers that have no impact guard? They look the same to me as I bought a front bumper from an 82 and it just replaced 74 bumper exactly.

On my 74 IIRC, the impact bumper, not the three piece bumper assembly, was attached to the frame with a couple of "shock absorbers" mounted to a bracket that required the front of the frame horns be removed to allow installation. I ash canned the impact bumper but that required that I remove the frame mounting portion of it and bolt it back on to support the radiator and front body mount.

This is the mount reinstalled on my 74 frame. The 45 deg cut is where I separated the body mount from the impact section.

100_1731_zpsqokp0h9z.jpg

To eliminate the "cow catcher" the rear portion of the mount  must be reinstalled or a frame extension installed.

Not being critical but what am I missing? What was included in the car that left the plant with a "replacement" bumper?

Edited by Avanti83

Nope, you aren't missing a thing!..."eliminating the impact absorbing bumpers" really means, at the front, removing the "cow catcher" ..as you did on your '74.

At the rear, a standard Studebaker Avanti rear face bar (without the rubber cushion holes) would replace the normal 1979 'drilled' rear bumper.....and there you have it!:)