Energetic Avanti!

mfg

I will say false - all the option/price lists I have show it as Hi-Energy Ignition System. Unfortunately, one of the few I don't have is 1975. :(

Besides, the HEI was only put on a relatively small number of GM vehicles in 1974, then on most if not all in 1975. If Avanti had enough engines in their inventory at the end of 1974, it's possible that not all the 1975 Avanti IIs had Hi-Energy Ignition Systems. Does anyone know for sure?

52 minutes ago, r1lark said:

I will say false - all the option/price lists I have show it as Hi-Energy Ignition System. Unfortunately, one of the few I don't have is 1975. :(

Besides, the HEI was only put on a relatively small number of GM vehicles in 1974, then on most if not all in 1975. If Avanti had enough engines in their inventory at the end of 1974, it's possible that not all the 1975 Avanti IIs had Hi-Energy Ignition Systems. Does anyone know for sure?

Sorry Paul, the answer here is TRUE!

1 hour ago, r1lark said:

So, in '75 they spelled out "high"? In later years, the option/price list called it "Hi-Energy". Would love to see a scan of the '75 option/price list.

Indeed Avanti called it Hi-Energy Ignition System in 1975...I took the liberty of spelling it 'High'...... If you happen to have a copy of AVANTI QUARTERLY MAGAZINE Issue # 83, it contains a copy of the '75 Avanti ll  option/price list called "How to buy a 1975 Avanti ll".

I believe you'd be very hard pressed to find an original, factory stock 1975 Avanti ll with 'points type' ignition!

10 hours ago, mfg said:

Indeed Avanti called it Hi-Energy Ignition System in 1975...

That's why I said false......the factory didn't call it "High" energy ignition!  We should be precise in our details...........;)

12 hours ago, mfg said:

12 hours ago, mfg said:

I believe you'd be very hard pressed to find an original, factory stock 1975 Avanti ll with 'points type' ignition!

Beginning with the RQ-B series, Avanti Motors made standard a GM Capacitive Discharge transistor ignition without points or condenser.  My '70 still had its when I purchased the car in 2006.

Whether Avanti Motors continued its use until the GM HEI ignition was introduced I can't say.  If so, I think it would be difficult to find a stock RQ-B with points prior to HEI.