Hot Avanti!

mfg

33 minutes ago, Rob Dudley said:

Since production ceased in December of 63, I will say false.

Rob

Good thought, however, many sold Studebaker Avantis were still under warranty, and also many were still unsold new cars, as of 1/1/64.

Edited by mfg

There was service letter R-1964-4 dated April 24, 1964 that was titled Improved idle cooling  - Avanti models equipped with air conditioning. This was for an idle speed cooling improvement kit that consisted of a new smaller water pump pulley (aluminum with only 2 grooves), an A/C belt and a carburetor idle speed-up adapter. 

Is this what you are looking for? BTW, my 64 is equipped with this kit.

2 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

There was service letter R-1964-4 dated April 24, 1964 that was titled Improved idle cooling  - Avanti models equipped with air conditioning. This was for an idle speed cooling improvement kit that consisted of a new smaller water pump pulley (aluminum with only 2 grooves), an A/C belt and a carburetor idle speed-up adapter. 

Is this what you are looking for? BTW, my 64 is equipped with this kit.

You hit the nail square on its head!!....Studebaker offered the kit you mention for A/C equipped Avanti models. However, it was not offered for other Stude passenger cars with A/C. (although I suppose the kit could be adapted to the other models at an owners request).......

Hence, Studebaker knew that their Avanti models tended to run a bit hotter than the others!....Answer......TRUE!

(It's interesting your Avanti has this kit....did you install it, or did a Stude dealer back in the day?)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 10:01 AM, abasile said:

I installed one of these kits on my 1964 Avanti with A/C back in the day. It really did not help at all.

Interesting evaluation!...Even with the smaller water pump pulley and idle speed up, there was no significant reduction of engine temperature on your Avanti?