Twisted Avanti!

mfg

The torsional rigidity of the Avanti's fiberglass body mounted onto its 'X' member frame is ----?-----ft/lb degree of twist.............1) 500-1200.......2) 2500-3000.......3) 3800-4200....or...4) 5000-5500.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I was too lazy to run the calculations but since no one else answered..................

Taking into account the tensile modulus of elasticity of FRP, the frame rail design and gage, the x-member, etc, a quickie estimate is around 4000 ft-lbs/deg of twist. So I'll say the answer is 3) 3800 - 4200.

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

Well, I was too lazy to run the calculations but since no one else answered..................

Taking into account the tensile modulus of elasticity of FRP, the frame rail design and gage, the x-member, etc, a quickie estimate is around 4000 ft-lbs/deg of twist. So I'll say the answer is 3) 3800 - 4200.

Holy cow!..I didn't realize ALBERT EINSTEIN was still alive!!.....You are CORRECT!!

Well Ed, at least this mechanical engineering degree is useful for something. :)

But seriously, I didn't calculate that, just made use of reference material. In this case, the SAE paper on the Avanti. ^_^