GH/Avanti?

mfg

You would at least need the Golden Hawk 2-barrell manifold. (But more importantly, why would someone want to do this? :wacko: )

No, that's NOT the part!.....And as far as why?....I say WHY NOT?

Then it would need to be some sort of carb adapter, to adapt the 4-bbl intake to accept the 2-bbl carb and enclosure.

No Paul, you're very close here, but so far you have not come up with the one main item needed for this highly unusual install!

You would need a hose from the blower to the air box. But still it would be foolish to do this conversion. Your fuel mileage would suffer as well as performance. And I'll tell you exactly why. The WW Stromberg was jetted extremely rich so it would be about right under full boost, and rpm. The Golden Hawk engines they were on couldn't match the rpms of the R engines, and would in fact float the valves @ 4500 rpm. Also it cant match the CFM requirements of the R2. Also the cam would make the 2bbl very un responsive, as the overlp reduces the velocity. The 2bbl has LARGER venturi area, than the AFB, primary side, which also reduces the velocity through the carb, and further reduces fuel atomization. A bad idea all around.

You would need a hose from the blower to the air box. But still it would be foolish to do this conversion. Your fuel mileage would suffer as well as performance. And I'll tell you exactly why. The WW Stromberg was jetted extremely rich so it would be about right under full boost, and rpm. The Golden Hawk engines they were on couldn't match the rpms of the R engines, and would in fact float the valves @ 4500 rpm. Also it cant match the CFM requirements of the R2. Also the cam would make the 2bbl very un responsive, as the overlp reduces the velocity. The 2bbl has LARGER venturi area, than the AFB, primary side, which also reduces the velocity through the carb, and further reduces fuel atomization. A bad idea all around.

Agreed that this would not be a very good mod....but be that as it may, if someone WERE going to do this, what 'key', 'major' item would be absolutely essential...(NOT the hose, or fuel lines, clamps, etc)

Well, you ALMOST got it Paul!!!.........I had to laugh when i read your comment about cutting the hole in the hood...BECAUSE....the 'KEY' part that you did not think of would be the '59-'64 'LOW PROFILE' 2bbl manifold!!!

Using that, an Avanti's hood should close over this strange setup WITHOUT that hole you mentioned!!!

To use a GH air box on a later low profile manifold, you would have to plug the choke tube hole in the base of the air chamber.The heat stove is in a totally different place on the high rise 2bbl manifold.

To use a GH air box on a later low profile manifold, you would have to plug the choke tube hole in the base of the air chamber.The heat stove is in a totally different place on the high rise 2bbl manifold.

The carb mounting surface would also have to be milled completely flat, but things like that and the choke are really quite incidental to the question that was posed!