loss of oil pressure

stuart

i had replace the electronics and coil on my 63 Avanti distributor.  To replace it on a TSP distributor i carefully removed it from the engine and replace the electronics.  Then carefully reinstalled it into the distributor hole at the rear of the engine.  Dressed up the wiring and then proceeded to crank the engine and it started like normal.  As it was running for about 30 seconds and seemed normal I looked at all the gauges and WOOPS no oil pressure.  i have checked the line from the Oil pressure sender to the gauge and it appears to be intact but unable to read pressure.  Shut off the engine.  

Now my question.  Does the distributor have anything to do with operating the oil pump? could I have damaged anything reinstalling the distributor.  I cant find any information in the workshop manual showing the assembly of oil pump or distributor installation.

Stu

I’m sure what you did was to drop the distributor in and clamped it down thinking all is lined up.The tang on the distributor shaft did not engage the oil pump. I’ve seen it happen before and as recently as a few months ago when a friend put the distributor back in his R2 wagon and got no oil pressure. What I told them I will tell you. Loosen the clamp on the distributor enough to lift the distributor up about a 1/4 inch but not loose gear engagement.  Pull the coil wire so it doesn’t start. Bump the starter a few times to get the engine to turn over a few revolutions. Watch the distributor closely and you will see it drop down flush with the block. This happens when the distributor aligns with the oil pump. Tighten the clamp. Start it and check for oil pressure. Now set the timing and all will be fine.

Thank you all for this help.  makes sense i just had no information as to know if the two were related. i will try this tomorrow.  Hope i didn't break anything when i installed the distributor.

Thanks Again,

Stu

21 hours ago, stuart said:

Thank you all for this help.  makes sense i just had no information as to know if the two were related. i will try this tomorrow.  Hope i didn't break anything when i installed the distributor.

Thanks Again,

Stu

Stu, I would suggest investing in an Avanti shop manual and using it when you do work on your car. The manual describes the distributor installation (just as Nelson described it above), along with most other work you might do on the car. Most all the larger vendors should be able to fix you up, and some may have it in a digital version.

Hi paul, thanks, I do have the workshop manual as well as the parts manual for the 63 Avanti. I must have searched for hours and missed the info in the manual. However I just reread the parts related to the installation of distributor and I think that this distributor is slightly different than the stock stude model, I think something is missing in the info.  While the distributor and shaft are exactlly what came out of the engine, and when reinstalling it, it felt like everything meshed.

aparentlly it did not.  cranked and started normallly after the new electronics were installed, but no oil pressure.  I wonder if there is something that sits on top of the oil pump to receive the end of the distributor shaft.?  if so it may have fallen out when the distributor was removed.  just guessing at that, as nothing shows that in the manual.  I will have to remove the distributor tomorrow and look down as see why it does not connect.

Thank you for the additional info.

Stu

Stuart. My friend thought the same as you that something was missing. When they loosened the distributor and raised it just a little then cranked the engine they actually saw the distributor fall into place under its own weight. You won’t lose timing as it never disengages the cam gear. There is very little engagement of the tang in the oil pump, maybe an 1/8 to 3/16. There is nothing else between the end of the distributor drive and the oil pump drive gear to get n the way.

Thank you Nelson, you were right on...  My 84 year old eyes had missed the fact that the distributor had not dropped into the correct position.  per your instructions I loosened the clamp bumped the engine and it dropped into the correct position.  Engine starts, lots of oil pressure. great now. Thanks again.

Stu