1985 Avantis!

mfg

In model year 1985, Avanti Motors made …..?….. Avantis with manual transmissions.

1) three….2) six…..3) nine…..or…..4) twelve

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

My guess is 3.

Nelson… I wondered if you meant 3 Avantis, or did you mean Answer #3?

9 hours ago, Nelson said:

I’m guessing now but I remember Blake made one for himself and a few more so my “guess” is three cars.

Good thought… but three isn’t the number!

This is from an article about the 1985 Avantis by Fred Fox in the July, 1996 issue of Turning Wheels.

"According to David Kinney, personal friend of Stephan Blake, only seven Avantis were fitted with factory 5- speed transmissions."

1 hour ago, regnalbob said:

This is from an article about the 1985 Avantis by Fred Fox in the July, 1996 issue of Turning Wheels.

"According to David Kinney, personal friend of Stephan Blake, only seven Avantis were fitted with factory 5- speed transmissions."

The latest Avanti Magazine pegs the number of manual cars built in model year. ‘85 at answer #2… six!

15 hours ago, regnalbob said:

15 hours ago, regnalbob said:

According to Lou Cote, who along with Al Basile co-wrote the Avanti Authenticity Guide and Addendum, pegs the number of five speed manual 1985 Avantis at SIX…His  1985 Avanti, RQB 4240, is one of them!

6 hours ago, mfg said:

According to Lou Cote, who along with Al Basile co-wrote the Avanti Authenticity Guide and Addendum, pegs the number of five speed manual 1985 Avantis at SIX…His  1985 Avanti, RQB 4240, is one of them!

The fact he co-wrote the Guide has no bearing on the question since it only covers 63-64 Avantis.

What makes you think Lou Cote is correct at six and Dave Kinney is incorrect at seven?

At the time the article was written Dave Kinney owned RQB 4202 with a factory 5- speed.

Edited by regnalbob

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, regnalbob said:

The fact he co-wrote the Guide has no bearing on the question since it only covers 63-64 Avantis.

What makes you think Lou Cote is correct at six and Dave Kinney is incorrect at seven?

At the time the article was written Dave Kinney owned RQB 4202 with a factory 5- speed.

Sorry, I do not dabble in hearsay!

Edited by mfg
Corrected spelling of ‘hearsay’

Correct answer is answer #2… Six vehicles…. If that doesn’t sit well with regnalbob, he should probably express his concerns to Mr. Cote…. Perhaps regnalbob can convince Mr Cote that seven 5 speed manual transmission 1985 Avantis were built…. Let us know how you make out regnalbob!

The answer which really matters is, "Far too few."
I love driving standard, which is a huge reason I'll incorporate one in my build.

9 hours ago, Geoff said:

The answer which really matters is, "Far too few."
I love driving standard, which is a huge reason I'll incorporate one in my build.

Agreed…. And good luck!