lots of fuel in oil

While working on the rear sway bar bushings (now completed satisfactorily) the car was tilted forward where the rear was suspended about 18 inches higher than normal for a few weeks as I had to get the new bushings replaced with a larger set. On the last few days of this i noticed a pool of liquid under the front that seemed to be gas/oil. When I dropped the rear end back down, I decided to do an oil change as I could not seem to get a reading on the dip stick. when I removed the oi drain plug, I got a strong steady stream of over 10 litres of liquid, overflowing my oil pan and again covering about 10 sq.ft. of floor....So I have gas in my oil pan and I need to know the cause to fix it.     Cause 1: (unlikely but I'll put it out there) the gas flowed through the fuel line into the carb and from there down into the engine.  Cause 2: (most probable but it is year and half old fuel pump) The gas flowed through a  failure in the bellows of the mechanical fuel pump and entered the oil that way.     Given the "fun" I had replacing the last fuel pump I would prefer to get some ideas on diagnostics to determine it that is indeed the fault.  Any ideas out there?

grant

#2 happened to me with a Studebaker R1 years ago.  Depending on the age of the fuel pump you installed the diaphragm may not be compatible with modern fuels.

Could be either, but #1 would fill the cylinders with fuel and could cause hydro lock if you crank the engine. I would pull some spark plugs and check for fuel.

Good luck,

Jim Wood

The gas tank on the Studebaker and early models of the II's is behind the back seat on a shelf; not sure where yours is but, no matter how the gas got in your engine, #1 or #2 above, I'd put a fuel shut off solenoid in the line.  I put one in mine; write up is in issue #170, page 48.  The solenoid is mounted under the tank and power is fed from the ignition switch.  I also placed a keyed, hidden, barrel switch in series that must be in the ON position to be driven but, if in the OFF position and the car is hot wired/stolen, it will be driven only a couple hundred yards.

Good luck.

Edited by Mel