Ac expansion valve

My expansion valve on a 1980 is bad so I need to replace it. Do any of you know if it is an O-ring style or a flare fitting?

Also, how to access it? Cant figure out how the console side panel is attached. Probably some screws but can find then when digging through the carpet.

Thanks

Edited by pantera928

On my 82, the panel is screwed onto the evaporater along the outer edges, then the carpet was glued on top.  You'll need to pull the edge of the carpet loose to see the screws.  Don't know about the valve.

thanks for the replies.

I pulled off the carpet and removed the panel Now, i cannot get the fitting going to the evaporator off using all the strength i had and a 12" long wrenches.

The expansion valve fittings were easier.

Guess i will have to figure out how to remove the whole box with the fan and the evaporator

16 hours ago, pantera928 said:

thanks for the replies.

I pulled off the carpet and removed the panel Now, i cannot get the fitting going to the evaporator off using all the strength i had and a 12" long wrenches.

The expansion valve fittings were easier.

Guess i will have to figure out how to remove the whole box with the fan and the evaporator

https://www.nostalgicmotorcars.net/uploads/1/2/4/8/124888690/evaporatorcore_aoai194.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Got a replacement expansion valve with flare fittings. All good now I hope

Edited by pantera928