Where does it go?

1984 Avanti with the wiper fluid reservoir removed by a previous owner. I can't seem to figure out its original location - in the front there's the battery, radiator and radiator expansion tank. On the inner fender panels, all kinds of electrical connection blocks on both sides. At the firewall, too much stuff against it. The only open spot is the shallow shelf behind the brake booster, but that doesn't seem right. If you have a photo to share, pls include in your response.

IMG_7897.jpeg

As Gunslinger said.

Do you have the original reservoir? It’s an odd flat shape, pretty much contoured to fit in that area of limited room.

Look back on this site, as there have been a few of these years' cars parted out. Maybe you will get lucky, although I have seen some that have been stained up inside with the blue color from the windshield wiper fluid. Good luck. Sorry, I replaced this one so long ago that I don't remember how they come off and on!

2 hours ago, George Rohrbach said:

… Sorry, I replaced this one so long ago that I don't remember how they come off and on!

I'm tearing apart my car and know how the washer fluid reservoir removes and re-installs, but you're not gonna like what I have to say.

You've got to contort yourself up under the back of your dash. At least, that's more or less how mine came out. My car's a basket case and I didn't care about how it removed, just that it removed. My reservoir was brittle and screwed. So I screwed it over s'more and now have a little more fiberglass repair to do. Oh well. I might not even put a washer reservoir there, as that looks like the perfect spot for a Crane Fireball or Holley MSD box to mount.

Hopefully anybody doing the correct repair has a car that wasn't left outside for two dozen years, and the studs & nuts just glide off of each other with minimum effort.

If Nostalgic Motors is out of stock on the reservoirs then call Jon Myer.  He has a number of Avanti parts cars and may have a serviceable reservoir tank.

On 6/23/2024 at 6:08 AM, Desert Driver said:

Good suggestion. Avantiparts is another possibility. That was a strange place to mount a tank, but Blake probably didn’t have an alternate site. 

On my ‘83, the tank broke away from it’s mounting studs that go through firewall… This situation caused the tank to spring a leak which found its way into interior over pedals….

Needless to say after that experience I located a generic tank in a new location and just  extended the hoses.

9 hours ago, mfg said:

…Needless to say after that experience I located a generic tank in a new location and just  extended the hoses.

I think that's what I'm going to do with my car. Today's cars have fluid reservoirs in all kinds of locations that would otherwise be dead space. My daily's windshield washer reservoir is between inner and outer fenders, in front of the car's RF wheel well. With how torn down I plan on taking 4174, I'll probably locate a new reservoir somewhere akin to that.

Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2024 at 4:41 AM, mfg said:

On my ‘83, the tank broke away from it’s mounting studs that go through firewall… This situation caused the tank to spring a leak which found its way into interior over pedals….

Needless to say after that experience I located a generic tank in a new location and just  extended the hoses.

Bob Ziff of Avanti Parts confirms the reservoir on Blake era cars is prone to leakage around the mounting studs. So, it's on to Plan B. In all likelihood I'll have to move some of the electrical blocks and gizmos on the passenger side inner fender and put a tank or bag there. I'm kind of fond of the Studebaker "S" bag.

Bonus points: what is the purpose of the block with a vacuum nipple on the right side? It's connected to power, but its function is beyond my pay grade.

IMG_7926.jpeg

Edited by Desert Driver

I had the same leak problem on my tank. After many removal and reinstall sessions, I cut off the bolts and covered the holes in the firewall. I then used a number of pads of velcro to attach the tank back in its position. while this held the tank in place, I still battles the leaks. My latest (and still working) fix was to cover the entire lower outside with a JB-weld epoxy that would stick to the plastic (plastic welding did not work, but the blame should be placed on the welder..me) I also could not justify the $100+ for a new tank.

You tried, and that matters most!

From what I’ve read and heard, the location of the reservoir, and how it’s attached, is problematic. So I’ll be putting a tank or bag in a different location and moving on. 

I’m still curious about the purpose of the part in my last photo. All kinds of vacuum lines on that engine - some I understand, others I have no clue!