Easier replacement of Door Window outer weatherstripping

Stormy

In the last few days my son was here to help me on our R1 , 1963/64 Avanti.  We enjoy this car since it has high condition original paint, chrome, stainless, rubber, and interior.  But an item bothered me.  The passenger door shuts like a bank vault.  The driver door would close nicely, but the window would rattle a bit due to a deteriorated outer horizontal door weatherstripping.  I have had the proper rubber insert to repair this but the job described in the Workshop Manual seemed daunting, especially for one person.  My son decided it was time to fix this seemingly minor item, so we went to the Workshop Manual , Page 13 in the Body Section. 

IMG_2803.thumb.jpg.523635dfcfdf47dd9a03913777d11f46.jpgIMG_2802.thumb.jpg.c0c716f5f7309731eb4578a36fa52c1b.jpg

The pictures above show a bit of the instructions to replace the rubber weatherstripping.  

Removal Item 1 suggests removing the Door Trim Panel.  This is described elsewhere in the Workshop Manual and would require disconnecting the electric window control wires .  Our method would not require the electrical disconnects, but just lifting the trim panel high enough to move it away from the rest of the door.  

Removal Item 2 lists the  removal of vent window frame and door window assembly, including the window itself.  This , for us, is a daunting undertaking, especially with electric windows, and the precise and difficult reinstallation of the vent window and door assembly, including hardware and glass.   We chose to try not doing Removal Item 2. 

Removal Item 3 was the removal of the retaining screw shown in the circled 1 of Figure 10 above was done.  

Removal Item 4 suggests then removing the outer weather seal and retainer with clips.  We did not do this since we had not removed the window and assemblies and window.  We left the window down and found that we could push the window top far enough inward to access the existing rubber weatherstripping and retainer. With the retaining screw [1 in a circle] removed we could move the rear end of the retainer out far enough to grasp the deteriorated weather seal and remove it by pulling it rearward.  Some pieces broke off, but using a 1/8" sharpened wood dowel and a couple of fabricated hooks using some rigid scrap wire, we were able to remove all of the deteriorated weather strip with the retainer still in place.

Removal Item 5 and Removal Item 6 were not necessary with the work done in Item 4 above.  From now on, you can follow our Reassembly below. 

Reassembly--------------- We cleaned out the upper and lower channels in the retainer.  Then slightly opened the rear end of these channels   to facilitate inserting the rubber weather strip.  We found the weather strip, furnished about two inches extra long, inserted quite easily .  No lubricant was needed.  We cut the weather strip at the forward end to fit properly. Then cut the rubber to the proper length at the rear end. We closed the slightly opened rear end of each channel . The screw [in the circled 1 ] was reinstalled .  Then we reinstalled the door trim panel.   

All done and the door now closes with that bank vault sound we like to hear with no window rattle.  

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

Edited by Stormy

• 1 month later...

Great find! I think most of us did it this way. The manual is plain stupid on this point. 

I would like to see photos of the end result. My door rattles even with a new rubber. 

Edited by Kodjo
More info