R1 , 1963/64 auto transmission servicing parts needed

Stormy

I have a 1963/64 R1 with the automatic transmission.   The transmission works well, but leaks fluid.  What gaskets , filters, etc do I need to have the transmission serviced ?  Where can these parts be purchased ?  Thanks, Daryl 

Hi Daryl,

I'm doing my transmission now. Bob Ziff @ AvantiParts.biz 215-420-2300 has some of these parts as does Studebaker International 317-462-3124. If you get the front and rear seals from SI have them check the rear seal number. The one I received is 1/8 inch larger diameter than the tailhousing. O'Reillys had the correct one on the shelf it is a National #7692s. The front seal is a National #6988h. I'm sure between these two you can find a new pan gasket, filter and any of other gaskets that you need.

Best of luck,   John C.

‘Fatsco’ transmission parts in New Jersey is a very good source of parts for both automatic and standard transmissions.

I’ve had two Avanti Powershift transmissions overhauled over the years using parts obtained from Fatsco.

Hi Daryl- You have not stated where the oil leaks from so I'd assume it's leaking from the following locations-

Front Pump to Torque Converter nose Seal   (original) Victor  49649 BU single lip (but double lip is good too)

Extension Housing Seal   (original) ‘Victor’ 49567   Timken equivalent 410059

Notoriously- the seal kit for the Selector Shaft & Manual Kickdown Shaft assy ....

Kickdown Shaft     Nitrile ‘O’ring (shaft) ID 3/8”   OD 5/8”   Section dia 1/8” 

Transmission case/shaft 'lip' seal for Manual Selector Shaft       ID .750     OD 1 1/16”    Width  3/16” Timken equivalent 240816

Sump Gasket and Strainer- as follows

The vast majority of all these parts are for almost any 'Type 8  Warner Gear Small Iron Case' Transmission found on lots of cars as well as Studeys (Ford AMC Jaguar Jeep..)  Almost any Transmisssion replacement parts businesses should be able to supply these.  The strainer in the sump can usually be washed and blown clear for re-use, if you don't need to replace it.  Powershift Transmissions have some different parts but I'm pretty sure the majority of those above are bog-standard.

Any seals you remove should have a number on 'em and you could buy these from any good Bearing and Seal suppliers.

Pics of these are on my blog http://studebakerflightomatic.blogspot.com/

Removal of the selector lever will require removal and re assembly of the detent ball & Spring that is in the case-  DO see the Blog otherwise I'll leave you to find a better way of re assembling it without repeatedly firing it around the workshop !

Regards- Steve

That's a lot of wonderful information.   Great blog, too.  Thank you all.  I cannot tell exactly where the leak originates.  Somewhere in the front.  I had hoped to get the seals, etc. in hand before I gave the Avanti to someone in the Bozeman, Mt., for work.  

On a slightly different subject I have heard different names for a 1963/64 Avanti R1 automatic transmission.   Power Shift, Flight-O-Matic, and maybe another.  Can anyone explain the differences ? Thanks, Daryl

The Flightomatic was Studebaker’s name for the automatic transmission used from ‘56 thru ‘66…

The Powershift or ‘Avanti Powershift’ was the heavy duty automatic transmission used behind Avanti ‘R’ type engines in the Avantis, Larks, and the Hawks…

The Powershift transmission is basically a heavy duty water cooled version of the Flightomatic, the biggest difference between the two is a completely different valve body shift pattern, changing from ‘PNDLR’ to ‘PRND21’…..

HD clutch discs, and a wider front band are also found inside the Powershift.

A higher stall speed torque converter was also part of the Powershift factory setup.