How many 2002 Avanti's were produced?

aardvark

What are the production numbers to the '02' Avanti? I can't answer this and was hoping someone else here had some insight.

I always understood there were fifty-three Avantis constructed between 2001-2004…how that broke down per year I don’t know.  The ‘02 I owned was #20 or #22 depending on how you defined it…the 22nd by production order or the 20th completed.  All 2001-2004 Avantis were built on the TransAm platform which was discontinued after the 2002 model year by GM…so 2003-2004 Avanti were all on 2002 chassis until they were used up.  If I remember the TransAm my Avanti was built on was made in December 2001.  

Gun 

A good explanation but wholly inadequate for a Co, producing Cars to not be  able to list what they did and what year.

Someone at the Avanti Group in Ga. needs to come clean.

Thank for the info.  Far more than I knew. 

Edited by aardvark

Not being publicly held…Avanti Motors wasn’t obligated to publish such records though they must have existed internally.  To be classified as a small producer…or whatever term the government uses…a car company cannot produce over a certain number annually…so Avanti Motors must have had the documentation to report to the government.  They just wouldn’t have been obligated to report such numbers publicly.

Whatever happened to the records after the company shut down is anybody’s guess.  Since Avanti Motors was headquartered in Mexico at the time of shutdown it’s a good guess those records are still located there if they exist at all.

It would seem that every safety feature needed to be certified as well as EPA in the 2000's

Seems records are out there but not retrievable.

Many…if not most…certifications would have piggybacked on the GM compliance certifications.  As a small manufacturer Avanti Motors was likely exempt from other safety requirements such as crash tests.  

Wait a minute.. Crash tests? 

A whole different body dropped on it? 

Gotta assume Your right though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have build sheets, trans am donor documents, most of what's been discussed above for most if not all 2001-2007 Villa Rica Cancun Mexico cars

I was a minority partner with Kelly and Seaton and was there in Villa Rica from day 1  in  2000- mid year 2002

Its amazing how much misinformation is out there

I'm a bit tired of reminding people of my contributions to the rebirth of the Avanti and it was not just a Kelly Seaton Deal

If there is sincere interest in the real story let me know or ask your questions as Im not getting any younger

Oh Please give us more information. I don't own one of those years but think they are something I may end up with in my future.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

John Hull.

Hope Your doing well. I heard of a House fire?

Sorry for the time delay in asking this. I've read Your book... a great compilation...It lists on the last page that 2001-5 there were 53 Units Built. Then the Ford units.... This disagrees with a site... TheAvanati.com who is claiming far greater numbers... I Bow to Your knowledge base since You were involved with the Co.

So If i divide the numbers produced  (53ish) by the 5 years. That brings the number produced to around 11 units  or so per year.. Being conservative I'll call it 13, since more or less per year could have been assembled.

Is My thought process logical and was Production that consistent??

If you have deeper info, I would love to hear.

Edited by aardvark

• 3 weeks later...

Had some time and located my records from my time and afterwords at Avanti in Villa Rica and info from Cancun 

I now have detailed production info for both 2001 and 2002 will summarize and share the actual information next issue Magazine

2001 Avanti Production    14 cars

2002 Avanti Production    33 cars

Total                                    47 cars

See next Avanti Magazine for details as to models built and numbers        

Posted (edited)

Hey John....Thank You Sooooo Much.

I knew if there was someone out there (you) the numbers could be dug up somehow. Even as just a memory.                                                                Glad you actually have substantial records... This means a lot to me..   I'm a little anal about records I keep on a few of My Collector Cars.                This Info will go into my file for this car, and added to the last page of Your Book.

Again... Thanks...

Yes, YES ""YES!!!"

Dan O'

Oh, By the way, My car is in a new Posting in the 2001-2007 section of the forum..                                                                                     I took Her up to the Blue Ridge Parkway a few days ago for a run in the Twisties.

Edited by aardvark