MCACN Show!

mfg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The support for the pin and bushings is vey different. That would lower the front. 
Thanks again Nelson. 

4 hours ago, A0136 said:

Thanks Nelson 

That does look different. I am headed to my shop now to take a look.  It’s 15 degrees and the shop is 2 blocks away but I won’t be able to go to sleep if I don’t go look.  

That’s funny. I’m the same way. When my mind is running on the right course I can’t sleep. In looking at the photos I’m wondering if you couldn’t turn the lower support upside down and use the right on the left etc?

7 hours ago, Nelson said:

That’s funny. I’m the same way. When my mind is running on the right course I can’t sleep. In looking at the photos I’m wondering if you couldn’t turn the lower support upside down and use the right on the left etc?

If they are turned over part of the support circled in blue that the king pin mounts to would be upside down.  If it was cut on the yellow line and the king pin mount turned over the support would look more like the R3 piece. 
Wouldn’t it be nice to find a box of those in a parts stash.  

IMG_2831.jpeg

One photo is a shot of the top control arm lowered in the frame. Not a good photo but the best I could do without removing the supercharger inlet hose. The other photo shows the lower knuckle above the nut. This change results in the front end being lowered 2 inchs or drop spindle.

3 hours ago, mfg said:

Hello Nelson & A0136....Is that a regular steering knuckle?

The pictures I posted are stock Avanti suspension. 

So, the R3 type lower king pin knuckle, together with the upper control arm frame modification accounts for a 2" drop...now I get it!

Studebaker probably had more time (and money) at the time of the '53 redesign...The front suspension was 'dropped' an inch or so then, however, they accomplished the drop by forging a completely new spindle....

.I have a NOS  pair of the '51-'52 type, which would be very handy if I wanted to RAISE the front of my Avanti..(no thanks!!!)

That’s interesting. I have a used set of 51 lower control arms with parts attached. I’ll have to take a closer look at them. Would they raise or lower the car. You seem to say it would raise the car?

4 minutes ago, Nelson said:

That’s interesting. I have a used set of 51 lower control arms with parts attached. I’ll have to take a closer look at them. Would they raise or lower the car. You seem to say it would raise the car?

Yes...raise...I once hoped to use these on a job ('62 Hawk) until I compared them to the spindles on the car....big difference!.

I think one of these has a part# tag on it...I'll look when I can get to my storage.