heater fan replacement

pantera928

My heater fan squalls when it first starts if it is cold out side. I tried the old method of drilling a hole in one end and lubricating it through the hole but no change.

I see 4 nuts that hold the fan motor housing to the firewall. How much more is needed to get enough access to change the motor?

Does the AC need to be disconnected? Do the heater hoses need to be disconnected?

THanks

On 11/6/2023 at 5:02 PM, Kodjo said:

You can leave the AC alone but the heater has to come out. The motor is attached to the back of the heater core.

How difficult is that? If I have a new motor, can it be done in a couple of hours?

Is the blower motor used by another car or do i have to source it from a Studebaker/Avanti source?

THanks

I am not share what you are asking. Do you have a new motor or do you need to buy one? I just opened my motor and oiled the bearings. Works so far.

It is easy to get the heater out. The nasty coolant has to come out first. Keep a bucket handy when removing the heater core. And, of course, laying on you back under the dash ain't funny...

Edited by Kodjo

1 hour ago, Kodjo said:

I am not share what you are asking. Do you have a new motor or do you need to buy one? I just opened my motor and oiled the bearings. Works so far.

It is easy to get the heater out. The nasty coolant has to come out first. Keep a bucket handy when removing the heater core. And, of course, laying on you back under the dash ain't funny...

My motor makes noise when it is started on a cold day. I was thinking to replace it if i can find one at a reasonable price rather than try lubricating the bearings. I figured they were sealed.

As far as the coolant goes, I normally remove both heater lines on a car from the engine and blow air through one of them with the heater valve open to minimize and antifreeze mess. That helps a lot

Are there any hidden bolts on the heater box or is removing it straight forward? Any other pieces need to get removed before to gain access?

Thanks

That is a good way of getting the antifreeze out!

It believe 6 bolds in total: 4 under the hood, holding the blower motor against the firewall, 1 in the right footwell at the underside of the heater housing (this one was rusted stuck in my car) and 1 connecting the heater housing to the duct under the dash.

4 hours ago, Kodjo said:

That is a good way of getting the antifreeze out!

It believe 6 bolds in total: 4 under the hood, holding the blower motor against the firewall, 1 in the right footwell at the underside of the heater housing (this one was rusted stuck in my car) and 1 connecting the heater housing to the duct under the dash.

Thanks. Any idea where to get a fan motor? I imagine that they are the same ones as used by other manufacturers. I would hate to pay more than it is really worth buying from a Stude parts place.

4 hours ago, Kodjo said:

Find "Climatizer" on Bob's page: https://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechjan2023p1.html

I repaired mine, good for my self confidence 🙂

Did not see any specifics about the motor part number but a good reference that I should have already thought of.