Front spoiler installed finally

pantera928

Well after receiving the front spoiler I ordered back in February, I finally got around to painting and installing it. Installation was a lot easier than I anticipated although i did not used the side brackets that go on the sides of the radiator supports as I really do not think they are needed. In face the center support bracket would probably keep the spoiler from falling off. The bolts on the ends along with the center bracket are adequate unless i try to set a new speed record at Bonneville.

I think it really gives a clean and finished look to the car and the Raymond Loewy would have approved. If I was building a custom job like maybe Dave Carnock did, I would probably mold it into the sides on the fenders to make a cleaner look

Spoiler Front.jpg

spoiler side.jpg

Looks good.  Back in the day spoilers and air dams weren't all that understood outside of maybe aeronautical and auto racing circles...and even then you didn't see them that often.  If the aerodynamic and cooling effects were understood it's possible Studebaker might have added them to the Avanti not just for performance but engine cooling effects.  The Due Cento had a full belly pan to help negate underbody air turbulence.  If the Granatellis knew enough about spoilers and such that would have likely been an easier and cheaper way to go for high speed runs.

I had a Saturn air deflector on the '70 Avanti I owned...it made a real difference in engine cooling...for very little money and effort without changing a thing mechanically.