Automatic transmission shift rod

tanda62

I am in the process of rebuilding my automatic shifter and have run across an issue.  The shift rod (part number 1557319) I received from Studebaker International is about 3 inches shorter than the rod that was in the car, please see attached picture.  I looked in vain to find the proper length of this rod in the parts and workshop manuals along with a google search and search of this site.  Does anyone know the proper length of this rod?  Thanks for your help, Tom

shift rod.gif

Thank you for the measurement.  The one I took out of the car matches the 19.5 inches you show and the one from SI is only 16.5 inches.  Looks like I will be cleaning up the rod I took out and will be using it.

Thanks again,

Tom

I just replaced mine because it dragged out from the car when it was towed, and it bent. 19 1/2 inches. I got it from Studebaker West. Russ, very nice guy. Couldn't find one, apparently this was the only one left in the country. NOS, fair price, fit right on. 

Got my shifter all painted and reassembled with some new parts and new rubber.  I used high temp black paint and did the back up switch in white, the starter cut out in red for easy identification in the future.  Also painted the shift rod yellow to make it easier to see under the car when it comes time to attach it to the transmission. All the new screws and bolts are stainless steel . Since all of the original studs broke during disassembly they have been replaced with stainless steel bolts.  The cut outs in the cover that fits over this is large enough to accommodate the bolt heads which is nice.

Another step closer...

Shifter reassembled.gif

I do not have a source for the metal dome, luckily I have mine, hope you can locate one.  As far as the bulb, I am changing all my lights to LED.  While I have not ordered it yet, this is the bulb I plan to use for the shifter.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/led-light-bulbs-universal-finder/miniature-and-subminiature-bulbs/ba9s-led-bulb-1-led-ba9s-retrofit-classic-car-bulb-ba9s-x-xvac-car+volts-12V~ACDC+color-Cool~6000K+packamt-Single

Hope this helps, 

Tom

On 11/1/2023 at 1:04 PM, tanda62 said:

I do not have a source for the metal dome, luckily I have mine, hope you can locate one.  As far as the bulb, I am changing all my lights to LED.  While I have not ordered it yet, this is the bulb I plan to use for the shifter.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/led-light-bulbs-universal-finder/miniature-and-subminiature-bulbs/ba9s-led-bulb-1-led-ba9s-retrofit-classic-car-bulb-ba9s-x-xvac-car+volts-12V~ACDC+color-Cool~6000K+packamt-Single

Hope this helps, 

Tom

That bulb might fit indeed but I like the red color and stay with the original bulbs.

I took my NSS apart and cleaned up the contacts, a fairly easy job, I was worried it wouldn't be. Now, I have to get the wires attached more firmly. I had a mechanic solder them on, but one came apart when I handled it. I see your wires and connectors look new. Did you attach them and find a new connector? If so, how did you attach them?