Need help reinstalling AC

Bozman

My next project on my 1971 Avanti ll  RQ-B1635, is to try to reinstall the AC system.  My guess is that the PO removed the compressor and condenser coil when he replaced the engine.  I don’t have any idea what the engine is other than that it’s a small block Chevy.  The block casting number is 3970010 which I guess is pretty common, but the stamped number is MK16800 I can’t find anywhere. I guess that’s another story. As far as I can tell the compressor was mounted near the center on the passenger side. The alternator was outside of the compressor and it’s tensioner was mounted to the compressor, that’s been modified.  I’d like to mount a Sanden type compressor, I’ll have to replace the condenser coil, dryer and hoses. The evaporator coil and expansion valve seem to be ok, when the old compressor was removed they at least plugged the lines.

I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions on mounting alternatives, or brackets or anything else related to this project.  I’ve been looking at the “Old Air” website, they have several different brackets listed.

thanks for looking, working on these old cars is a lot easier with resources like this organization and your advice

Bill

My 82 305 has the GM stock type compressor on the left and alternator on the right.  I've seen other mounting locations as well, just be sure you have hood clearance if you mount something in the center.  Here is your engine identification:  3970010 Small Block V8 1969 302, 4 bolt, Camaro Z28.  So you'll want to find a compressor / alternator mount for that engine.  

57504228_EngineL.thumb.JPG.89ece337ca55e06a6226cb3a747f463f.JPG

Bill,

Your car would've originally had a York compressor installed. Vintage Air makes a bracket to adapt the Sanden compressor to the York mount. I did this on my '72 many years ago. This is not the only way of course; there are several companies that make brackets to mount the Sanden compressor to a SBC. 

IMG_4757.JPG

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

AD. 
What you have looks like what must have been there.  I’m sure the engine has been changed and there are no brackets for the compressor.  I’ve tried looking up the number stamped on the block in front of the passenger side head, but there’s nothing on it.  I measures the height of the water pump to see if it’s short or long and it looks like it’s a Corvette water pump about 5 7/8” 

It looks like you have an idler pulley, I assume to tension the belt.  I do have two “v” grooves, one on the crank and the other on the water pump pulley.  I measures the room under the hood. It’s 11” from the center of the water pump bolt to the underside of the hood, so it’s pretty tight.

thanks for the pictures, they are going to help a lot.

thanks for the replies 

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Block casting number 3970010 is a pretty common bock, used from 69 to 79 as 302, 307 and 350 configurations.  The engine number beginning with MK (and no suffix) doesn't match any Chevy engine numbering system I have heard of.  Might be a (Mexican?) replacement engine.

Not as common as before, but you may be able to find a '78-'85 Chevy Caprice, Monte Carlo, or Camaro in a salvage yard...Most of those came with factory A/C, and most, if not all engine related components would fit your Avanti.