'63 R2 RUNNING ON "BRING-A-TRAILER" AUCTIONS

Rick Allen

I found it interesting, the auction shows a picture of a page from the 2015 Avanti Magazine showing Avanti which received "black interior components".

I assume it means things other than seats, door panels, etc., but things like dash, radio, steering wheel & column, and console trim were black; the car is listed as 1 of 1833 R2 "variants"; it that considered to be the same as "running changes"?

Also, later I found, but not on the auction site, the document (pictured below) which I guess supports the "black interior components" changes!

1963_studebaker_avanti_1963_studebaker_avanti_afc2a6b0-47ea-4b92-83c8-aa3b9ec40c4e-dJbcwm-80949-80950-scaled.webp

1963_studebaker_avanti_IMG_1401-7-96506-scaled.webp

avantidinocdelete.jpg

IIRC this late-1963 option for Avantis was called 813BKV (BKV = black vinyl).  The list above states that 55 Avantis were so equipped.  I guess that black was popular at the time.  I would wish that Studebaker had chosen Elk for the solid-color option.

"1833 R2 'variants'" is just a poor way of stating that this car is one of 1833 1963-64 Avantis equipped with an R2 engine.  I would have used different words, either "equipped with" or "R2 option."

That's a problem with BaT; they write the description, even though they're not experts on your particular make or model of car.

--Dwight

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

22 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

IIRC this late-1963 option for Avantis was called 813BKV (BKV = black vinyl).  The list above states that 55 Avantis were so equipped.  I guess that black was popular at the time.  I would wish that Studebaker had chosen Elk for the solid-color option.

"1833 R2 'variants'" is just a poor way of stating that this car is one of 1833 1963-64 Avantis equipped with an R2 engine.  I would have used different words, either "equipped with" or "R2 option."

That's a problem with BaT; they write the description, even though they're not experts on your particular make or model of car.

--Dwight

I see the reason given for the change is "Di-Noc material not satisfactory", I don't know what Di-Noc is or means, and what they meant by not satisfactory; did Studebaker go back to the previous color applique or is that when they went to wood-grain for the coming '64 models?

Ni-Noc is 3M's trademark for "a self-adhesive film that can be applied to a variety of flat or curved surfaces."  It is what Studebaker used on '64 Avantis for their wood-grained dash & console.  Something was wrong with the material at that time, either it didn't stick, or came apart, or something.  Di-Noc is still available today and is a good solution for replacing wood-grain finishes on dashes, door panels, etc.

I believe that some of the 813 BKV black interiors in '63 Avantis had the Di-Noc wood-grain until it was found to be unsatisfactory--right or wrong, somebody?

The Fawn-color dash & console on '63 Avantis was painted on.

--Dwight

17 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Ni-Noc is 3M's trademark for "a self-adhesive film that can be applied to a variety of flat or curved surfaces."  It is what Studebaker used on '64 Avantis for their wood-grained dash & console.  Something was wrong with the material at that time, either it didn't stick, or came apart, or something.  Di-Noc is still available today and is a good solution for replacing wood-grain finishes on dashes, door panels, etc.

I believe that some of the 813 BKV black interiors in '63 Avantis had the Di-Noc wood-grain until it was found to be unsatisfactory--right or wrong, somebody?

The Fawn-color dash & console on '63 Avantis was painted on.

--Dwight

A lot of crazy things going on back then and yet it all got documented; thanks for the info,,,

One of my 63s, R4551, has the 813 BKV option according to the build sheet. It was slated for the Las Vegas drive away.  The dash panels etc. are covered in woodgrain vinyl, I assume it is di-noc. The  the steering wheel is woodgrain tenite. It also has round knobs. The interior is solid black vinyl with black carpet.