63 avanti battery holder

ken1007

Have been using Napa 7250 battery on my 63 Avanti for a number of years. They don't last very well as the Napa store said they were for forklifts. Years ago I found an interstate battery that lasted much better than the 7250. Has anyone made the battery bracket switch to keep a more standard battery up front by using one of the many available manufactured battery holders? I have extra Studebaker battery brackets but they would have to be modified and welded and positioned correctly. Do not want to put battery in trunk but I have bought the last 7250. Any advice as to a commercially available bracket that more closely meets the size dimensions with minimum welding and support.
Ken, Deltaville, VA

I`ve been told that a Honda Civic battery will fit in your original battery support, but will be half as long. I haven`t tried it myself, but if you engine starts quickly with the other battery this may solve your problem. I`m still suffering along with the 7250 but I always keep a battery tender on it so they seem to last longer.

005.JPG

Using a group 51 Honda battery as an example I think you could fit two in the space of a 3EE, obviously would require a custom hold-down but that's not to complicated to sort out. The depth dimension of the group 51 is slightly bigger. 

That said a group 51 AGM battery has more cranking amps and more reserve capacity then a flooded 3EE so not a ton of reason to do it.

My car already has a group 65 in the trunk wired in parallel with the 3EE, installed by the previous owner and it's pretty well done. My plan is to covert to a group 51 AGM under the hood and replace the group 65 in the trunk with an AGM and maintain the parallel configuration. Leaving batteries connected in parallel full time can be tricky so it's important they at least be of similar age and identical chemistry. 

15 hours ago, sailingadventure said:

I`ve been told that a Honda Civic battery will fit in your original battery support, but will be half as long. I haven`t tried it myself, but if you engine starts quickly with the other battery this may solve your problem. I`m still suffering along with the 7250 but I always keep a battery tender on it so they seem to last longer.

005.JPG

Great picture of a great engine compartment!  Thanks, --Dwight

Relocating battery to trunk gets all that 3EE weight off the front end fiberglass...Conversion is quite easy, and the obsolete 3EE can be gutted and left in stock location for appearance sake.