REAR DISC BRAKE CONVERSION 81

wildfelr

RQB3263/81 .... I WOULD LIKE SOME ADVICE ON INSTALLING JEGS P/N 555-630642 REAR DISK BRAKE CONVERSION KIT.... IT WOULD APPEAR THIS IS THE CORRECT KIT FOR MY 81 AVANTI.... ATTACHED PICS OF EXISTING BACKING PLATE FLANGE ...  IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS GOOD, BAD OR OTHERWISE PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME ....THANKS .... BILL IN FLORIDA

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_8577.jpg

Bill

Twelve years ago I had a lot of work done on my '76, replacing the brake lines, adding Turner front disc brakes and I also got the rear disc set up from Turner as well.  The mounting plates for the rears would not line up as they had a different pattern and I ended up rebuilding the rear drums. What are the rears you're getting from Jegs, brand name?  The fronts I have work good, but I'd still like to get discs on the rear

I had a resto-modded '89 Convertible for 7 years that had Wildwood's on all corners and they worked real well.

RQB3263/81 YES 3263 HAS THE TURNER FRONT ALL WORKING WELL BUT I SPOKE WITH HIM ABOUT THE REAR AND YES HIS REAR SYSTEM IS FOR 4 BOLT BACKING PLATE UNITS ONLY...HE DOESNT PRODUCE A KIT FBUT IT APPEARS ....JEGS SELLS THE  5 BOLT BACKING PLATE REAR DISC  BRAKLOE CONVERSION....I AM LOOKING FOR CONFORMATION THAT THE JEGS KIT IS CORRECT AND WORKS WELL ..... BEFOR I ORDER $$... THANKS ....BILL

CORRECTED........RQB3263/81 YES 3263 HAS THE TURNER FRONT ALL WORKING WELL BUT I SPOKE WITH HIM ABOUT THE REAR AND YES HIS REAR SYSTEM IS FOR 4 BOLT BACKING PLATE UNITS ONLY...HE DOESNT PRODUCE A KIT FOR 5 BOLT....BUT IT APPEARS ....JEGS SELLS THE  5 BOLT BACKING PLATE REAR DISC  BRAKL CONVERSION....I AM LOOKING FOR CONFORMATION THAT  JEGS KIT IS CORRECT AND WORKS WELL ..... BEFOR I ORDER $$... THANKS ....BILL

RQB3263/81  ....IV BEEN BROUSING THE JEGS WEB SITE FOR DANA 44 DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KITS AND AM MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER .... the kit pictured show only 4 bolt backing plate for dana 44/.....does that mean that for there kit we leave the 5th bolt out?  ... ill call them but I bet they dont have the answer ... i will post results here .....BILL

Bill,

As I'm remembering,(I might be wrong as it was the Spring of '11), the kit I got from Jim Turner for the rears, the mounting bracket only had 3 holes and there was no way on my Dana that 2 of those holes could be lined up with the backing plate bolts. Is it possible the bracket doesn't go all the way around and mount with 5, but 4 bolts?  Did Jegs list what company made the kit and are the replacement pads available through anyone other than Jegs?

Bill

Looking up the p/n you listed, it said it would fit Mopar 83/4" A,B, and E body as well as Dana 60. I thought the rear end was a Dana 44. I have no idea if the backing plates are the same on 44's and 60's.

RQB3263/81   I spoke to JEGS this morning and while no absolute answer tech believes the 5th bolt is eliminated .... here are a couple p/n from JEGS ....633-RC3001    AND

950-140-10767-D .... ILL CHECK them out in the morning with coffee..... BILL

RQB3263/81   GOOD MORNING AVANTI FOLKS ..... I looked on the Summit web site and they list several disc brake conversion kits that may be what we are looking for ....

i haven't called them yet..... 2 part numbers I am interested in are

TSB-A136BK    AND    SUM-BK1629-DS

THERE PIC SHOWS A 5 BOLT BACKING PLATE BRACKET ....  may call them later today and will report here.......... BILL

RQB3263/81     After more study the Summit # BK1629-DS IS listed for the DANA 60  not our DANA 44 ,,sorry...... TSB-A136BK  IT APPEARS TO BE THE ONLY ONE WITH 5  BACKING PLATE BOLTS and is listed for DANA44

RQB3263/81 .... I sure would like to hear from an Avainti owner about his/hers experience using this Summit (or any other supplier) that successfully completed this conversion... BILL

• 4 months later...

RQB3263/81/305 HELLO GROUP    AND HAPPY INDEPENDANCE DAY TO ALL   .... RQB3263/81/305     REAR DISC BRAKE CONVERSION RESULTS I DETAILED HERE SOME MONTHS AGO .... HOWEVER... IT DIDNT HAPPEN......AFTER ORDERING FROM SUMMIT  THEY COULD NOT SUPPLY THE KIT .... THEY REFUNDER MY ALMOST 900$ NO PROBLEM..... THE DRUM BRAKES ARE VERY ADEQUATE ....KEEP EM........MIKE MYERS , MYERS STUDEBAKER, DUNCAN FALL, OHIO....CLEANED UP THE DRUM BRAKES, REPLACED WHEEL CYLINDERS AND  SAVED MY PROBABLY $1500 !!....BEST WISHES...BILL IN FLORIDA 97 DEGREES TODAY

ABADEE  ABADEE  ABADEE THATS ALL FOLKS