Missing R4!

mfg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 10:29 AM, mfg said:

Anyone out there in Avantiland know the current whereabouts of the factory R4 '64 Daytona hardtop which was built for a Car Life Magazine article?....Or if it actually still exists?

Rumor has it this Studebaker still exists, however it no longer has its factory installed R4.

If you ever get out of the northeast US and go to meets, you could see it in the flesh. I have in South Bend. And also once at the national meet in Des
Moines.

52 minutes ago, brad said:

If you ever get out of the northeast US and go to meets, you could see it in the flesh. I have in South Bend. And also once at the national meet in Des
Moines.

Wow!.. ..Is it restored or original shape?.....Still have the R4?

18 hours ago, brad said:

Moines.

I have to say I find it very strange that this super rare Studebaker has apparently not been publicized.

Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen any recent articles concerning a car which apparently still exists, and is, in all probability, the rarest of 1964 Studebaker production automobiles!

(IMHO)

I believe that’s the car the magazine showcased as it came down the assembly line…then it wouldn’t start as the distributor was hooked incorrectly.  Embarrassing to happen and then be reported that way.  

3 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

I believe that’s the car the magazine showcased as it came down the assembly line…then it wouldn’t start as the distributor was hooked incorrectly.  Embarrassing to happen and then be reported that way.  

Yep!....That's the one😶

That's because every R3 and R4 came standard with the Prestolite electronic ignition, and it is wired differently than a points type ignition.