63 Avanti A/C sight glass?

Guest Larry Delazzer

If I remember correctly from the '63 I owned many years ago, it's attached to the receiver/dryer and condenser assembly in front of the radiator...not exactly the easiest place to see it from.

If I remember correctly from the '63 I owned many years ago, it's attached to the receiver/dryer and condenser assembly in front of the radiator...not exactly the easiest place to see it from.

On my '63 it is located INSIDE the car. Passenger side. To he right of the removeable A/C panel. Once you get down in the footwell, and look in that area, you should see it.

I remember on my '63 the expansion valve was in that location under the passenger side of the dash. The valve clogged and the high side hose blew completely off the compressor when I was driving the car.

I do remember having to replace the valve, hoses and the receiver/dryer under the front end of the car. The sight glass was attached to that assembly...but since the car was thirteen years old when I purchased it, I've no way of knowing if the a/c parts at the time were original though I've always assumed so.

It's on the expansion valve on the evaporator under the dash. The passenger side panel has to be removed to see it. There may be sticky tar-cork insulating wrap around the area that keeps the connections from sweating.

Edited by brad

• 1 month later...

The original R12 freon took something like 3 lbs! The envriro safe replacement I use takes about 12 oz.

R 134 takes about 1 lb 10 oz.