Exhaust Crossover pipe

CaffeineRacer

I don't have a crossover on my car but the easy way to determine where to put one is take a grease pencil and run a line on the down pipe back to the muffler on one side. Start the engine and let it warm up. The heat will burn off the grease line...where it begins showing again is where you put the crossover.

I don't know the reason why...just a trick shown in some car magazine several years back.

I don't have a crossover on my car but the easy way to determine where to put one is take a grease pencil and run a line on the down pipe back to the muffler on one side. Start the engine and let it warm up. The heat will burn off the grease line...where it begins showing again is where you put the crossover.

I don't know the reason why...just a trick shown in some car magazine several years back.

I don't really 'get' this idea either!

My quick guess would be that it has to do with the expansion of hot gases and that you want to put a crossover at a point where the hot exhaust gases have sufficiently cooled as not to cause undo back pressure into the other cylinder bank, but more likely it's probably just an old wives tale. Lol.

Really though my question is more structural because with the x-frame and the way you route a dual exhaust through it gives you few points where you could crossover between them with out creating another problem.

Your question asks about an 'H' connector between the two dual exhaust head pipes (I believe) as opposed to a true exhaust crossover pipe that would be a standard feature of any V8's single exhaust system.

As far as the 'H' connector is concerned, Studebaker utilized an 'H' pipe on later '63 and '64 model year Avantis as part of the 'quiet tone' exhaust system....so it definitely can (and has) been done. Since Avanti ll's (through 1985 really) utilize the same frame as Studebaker did, an 'H' pipe could probably be added between the head pipes just like on a Stude Avanti.

The Studebaker Avanti 2nd edition ('64) parts manual has a good illustration of this 'H' connector pipe, and its location on the car.

Here is the way Corvette did it on the early C-1 Corvette with a very similar X-frame which makes the H or X pipe a problem. It was special factory option on the high performance engines in late 60-70's.

exhaust2.jpg

Next time your out look at it...simple to do on your Avanti

Devildog, great photo. I like how they were smart and made it so you could remove that pipe without having to cut or remove the whole downpipes. I think I'll try to rig up something like that.

Mfg, my manual must be the first edition as there are no photos of an h-pipe. Any chance you could upload a photo from your manual?

I have heard the best place to place a crossover or "blend" pipe (CA Smog Term) is a few feet behind the engine which is where I have seen most of them. The Corvette photo is an exception, and on the other end of the spectrum are mid 60s Lincoln Continentals which had a blend pipe between the two tailpipes in front of the rear axle.

With the crossover pipe your exhaust note at idle will be smoother and more balanced sounding and quieter at highway speeds.

Mine is between the X member and the differential, which makes it very difficult to remove the drive line! If I ever redo my exhaust, I might rethink it. I'd post a picture, but it's just too involved on this site. We should upgrade it too allow more than 217 bytes!

I know I can link to it on another site like photobucket, but I have to upload it there, etc...

on a Studebaker Avanti factory setup, the 'H', or connector pipe, is located just ahead of the frame x-member....Each exhaust pipe has a right angle 'stub' pipe, that slide together and are fastened with a normal 2" exhaust clamp.

I always thought that this connector pipe was created to 'smooth out' the exhaust note.....which is why I never wanted one on my '63!!!! (blub-blub-blub)