Avanti Six!

mfg

There are at least two complete cars. John Hulls grey one, and a Reddish pinkish one.

...I saw the 'Reddish' one at South Bend in 2007....very nice automobile

PS...Hull's (Grey) Avanti appears to be a coupe.......The 'Reddish' one is a convertible.

Ok...so we now have two confirmed factory V6 Avantis. I have to say I feel an Avanti without a V8 is simply wrong, but the more the merrier. Modern V6 engines are more powerful in many ways than the V8 of the early '60s so Avanti performance hasn't suffered and it adds to the history of the marque.

Ok...so we now have two confirmed factory V6 Avantis. I have to say I feel an Avanti without a V8 is simply wrong, but the more the merrier. Modern V6 engines are more powerful in many ways than the V8 of the early '60s so Avanti performance hasn't suffered and it adds to the history of the marque.

You're right,....the new V6's (and even the fours) really fly!!

Heck yeah, Ford's new GT has a 600HP six cyl (twin turbo, of course) and even 4 cyls. have some decent numbers. My R1 is a 5.0L rated at what, 240HP and I have a 2.0L four car rated at 260HP. Can't remember the HP numbers, but with nothing more than a chip and air filter/exhaust changes, people are getting some crazy numbers from the Subaru WRX flat-six. Good times! I've always thought a great Avanti build could be done with a tweaked GM3800 cast iron V6 as a base.

You also have to remember that the R1 with 240 hp is gross horsepower...since about 1971 engines have to be rated at net horsepower. That 240 gross hp in an R1 would translate roughly to 190 net horsepower or thereabouts depending on engine accessories, exhaust, etc.

I don't know whether to say how sad the earlier engines compare to modern engines or how well new engines compare...kind of a distinction without a difference.

You also have to remember that the R1 with 240 hp is gross horsepower...since about 1971 engines have to be rated at net horsepower. That 240 gross hp in an R1 would translate roughly to 190 net horsepower or thereabouts depending on engine accessories, exhaust, etc.

I don't know whether to say how sad the earlier engines compare to modern engines or how well new engines compare...kind of a distinction without a difference.

Bummer, didn't realize that. Just thought mine was a dog ;) Let's just celebrate 'puters, fuel injection, direct injection and variable valve & ign timing, I guess.