Flex Plate Issue

mfg

Automatic transmission flex plate 'cracking' is/was a common problem when Studebaker V8's & Avantis were driven regularly. What 'trick' did some folks use to 'beat' that problem?

Use 2 flex plates.

pb

Good thought, but I believe that using two flex plates may lead to other problems....No, there was another very permanent solution...Anyone?

Good thought, but I believe that using two flex plates may lead to other problems....No, there was another very permanent solution...Anyone?

Not saying it's right to do so but I DO remember reading somewhere way back when, that you could install two flex plates and then not use the reinforcement ring.

OK,....the solution the 'old timers' used to cure the 'cracking torque converter flexplate' issue on '56 -'64 Studebakers with Flightomatic style automatic transmissions, (and, of course, the Avanti Powershift) is to replace the thin '56-'64 style flexplate with a '51-'55 flexplate made for the earlier 'Borg Warner Drive' (Detroit Gear) automatic transmission. Everything bolts up exactly the same, and the reinforcement ring is still used, but this earlier flexplate is of much heavier construction....due to the requirements of the larger and heavier torque converter (with lock-up clutch feature) used with the Detroit Gear automatic transmission!