400 CI Avantis

mfg

There may have been several issues with the 400. Early 400's had idle and stumbling issues that GM tried to cure by shipping them with 2-barrel carburetors. After a year or so Quadrajets began being installed once the condition was solved. It wasn't unusual among manufacturers at that time for such problems as all were trying to comply with new emissions requirements.

Another issue was heat...400 engines didn't have coolant passages in the blocks...they had steam vents and running hot...historically a very real issue on many Avantis...was not uncommon. Avanti Motors began drilling holes in the inner fender aprons of many cars in an attempt to vent heat from the engine compartment.

You 'nailed' it!.....The extra torque of the 400 engine seemed to be too much for that front crossmember.

Now for the rest of the story. My 74 came with a 400 and OP told Nate that he didn't want a truck engine. Altman replaced it with a 350 shortly after the OP bought the car. When I removed the 350 to install the 383 last year I removed the mounts and the frame was cracked around the mounts.

I don't know if it was the 400 after only a couple of months but I think it was more the fact that the engine mount bolts were installed without washers. The crack in my cross member radiated out from the edges of the bolts which initiated the stress fractures. The difference in assembly quality between my 83 and 74 is enormous. The 74 reminds me of a kit car built by teenagers. So I'm not sure if it's the 400 or partially build quality.

I know the story is true about the 350 because I purchased the 74 from the son of the OP and talk to both of them on a regular basis.