Early RQA Style Cibie Driving Lights mounting position.

Luma

I have been lucky enough to find a NOS pair of Cibie driving lights as used on Early RQA style Avanti II's. This is the style as used on the cover of the second Avanti book by John Hull. I was wondering if someone who has this option on their Avanti can send me a picture of where and how they are mounted to the car? I like how the fit right under the headlight and want to keep the proper alignment. Any help greatly appreciated. Luma

There were brackets that attached directly to the bumper mounting brackets the lights were bolted to. Once attached they're automatically aligned. Check with Dan Booth at Nostalgic...they carry them.

I found a new mint in box set of vintage Cibie driving lights (with cats eye covers) for my 82 on eBay...also found bumper mounting brackets there that are cheaper & much easier to use as compared to the Avanti Motors brackets... Do a seller search for "tilux" or search " Cibie Marchal fog driving light clamps holders brackets" under "car & truck parts > other parts"...there's a set active now for $34.99 with free shipping. All you need is a screwdriver!!...to align them I simply went on "studebaker-info.org" & eye-balled the positions from the RQA & RQB pics in the registry (essentially dead center under the headlight) & mounted them...they look great!!

My '79 has the brackets welded onto the bumper mount brackets. I moved the lights to the bumper ram mounting

point when I took the cow catcher off.

I am looking for a pair of the light covers for mine.

Any thoughts as where to find them?

Dear Avanti Friends,

Mine is a 1982 Avanti II and the build sheet for my car call out "Hella" driving lights. What is actually on the car is a pair of Bosch driving lights. Did Avanti Motor Company use whatever they could get at the time or is there a specific brand of driving light that they used in each year? Do you think mine got changed sometime along the line or could the Bosch have been original?

Thanks,

Bob Conant

Bradenton, FL

Like any manufacturer equipment changed with the wind. A lot depended on what vendor gave the best price on a particular part or accessory. According to the build sheet on my '70 it came with Eppe driving lights, which was the brand offered that year. They were gone by the time I purchased the car and I added a different brand of lights.

Dear Avanti Friends,

Mine is a 1982 Avanti II and the build sheet for my car call out "Hella" driving lights. What is actually on the car is a pair of Bosch driving lights. Did Avanti Motor Company use whatever they could get at the time or is there a specific brand of driving light that they used in each year? Do you think mine got changed sometime along the line or could the Bosch have been original?

Thanks,

Bob Conant

Bradenton, FL

My 83 said Hella Lights and came with Hella lights. My guess is if the build sheet said Hella it came with Hella but as Bruce says, you can never be sure with Avanti's.

Thanks folks.

I'm not going to spend big bucks to try to find Hellas as the Bosch units are in excellent condition and could be original.

Bob