Avanti ll pump Lubrication...

mfg

There's been recent discussion here concerning replacing mechanical fuel pumps on post Studebaker Avantis...(Chevy engine)

I've changed a few mechanical fuel pumps on these Chevy V8's, and more than once the pump came with instructions to pack the fuel pump arm's opening ( where the pump arm pivots on its pin) with  heavy grease prior to installation......This is due to, in operation, very little engine oil reaching that area of the pump........ so after a time the pivot pin of the arm tends to wear excessively, and the fuel pump operating arm loosens. (Not good!:o)

From what I can see, the arm operates in a closed chamber, with its only lubrication being the small amount of oil that travels vertically down the Chevy engine's internal fuel pump pushrod.

(Studebaker V8's, for example, get plenty of lubricating oil to that area of the fuel pump from direct splash from the timing gears.)

1 minute ago, silverstude said:

It was my understanding that grease was supposed to be packed up inside the opening where the lever contacts the pushrod to keep it from falling down while inserting the pump arm (Avanti II) 

Yes, pushing grease up against that (pain in the neck!) fuel pump pushrod is one way of keeping it 'up' and out of the way, actually, on the early small block Chevys a long bolt could be temporarilly screwed in from outside of the block  to hold the pushrod in place.  (That hole was eliminated in later engines)

However, the application of grease inside the pump itself (where the arm pivots) is a different matter!