Air conditioner compressor now locked up.

DickC

Any suggestions for freeing up a frozen compresser? It worked when I got the Avanti two years

ago but wasn't used while I restored the car. Took the car to my mechanic for brake work and asked

that he check out the AC as well. He said it was frozen and the belt slipping. Guessed $1000

to fix. I'm thinking of removing the compressor and taking it apart to try and fix it. I think it is a YORK.

Any manuals for this AC?

Thanks

....Dick C.

Was the a/c system opened up and unsealed while the car was being restored? If so, that's bad and the compressor could well be locked up. Anything to do with the a/c system should be sealed if not installed and charged with refrigerant which also has lubricating oil in it. There's the possibility it's the clutch that's bad and not the compressor and is replaceable separate from the compressor.

If it is the compressor, the York compressor was used not just on Studebakers but also Fords, Mopars, AMC cars and many aftermarket a/c vendors. A replacement should not be difficult to find or be very expensive from most auto parts suppliers.

You should also have to replace the receiver/dryer which is normal anytime an a/c system is opened for any reason. The dryer is located alongside the condenser in front of the radiator. I would suggest also replacing the expansion valve under the dash. If it gets clogged the high pressure hose will explode and make a mess under the hood...not to mention scare the bejesus out of you. Don't ask how I know.

The receiver/dryer and expansion valve will not easily be found (if at all) from normal parts suppliers...go to the Avanti vendors for those.

I don't know if $1000 is a fair estimate for the repairs but it is somewhat labor intensive. The longer you wait to repair it the more parts within the system will degrade.

The York is a inefficient compressor, and takes too much power to turn. A Sanden 508 or 1716 is smaller, lighter, more effeceint, better looking, and takes less hp to run, Plus there are adapters that make it a direct bolt on. With R134 they are they way to go. A parallel flow condensor is usually recommended for the change to 134 also. Barrier hoses are also needed for the 134 to keep it's charge over the long haul. The 134 gas molecule is smaller and will pass right through rubber hoses over time.

P.S. I almost forgot.....the Sanden is also less expensive! :)

Edited by brad

For $1000, your mechanic is telling you he doesn't want the job.

If this is a restored car, fix or replace the York. You can find them at most U-Pik yards for cheap. They are dirt-common and easy to R&R. That, plus a dryer, pull vacuum, charge of R12, should not be more than $500.

If not, for a lot less than $1000 one should be able to replace the York with a Sanden, all new hoses, a dryer and a charge of R134a.

jack vines

Thanks all.

I think I'll pull the compressor and see why its locked up. It was not opened during the

restoration and worked when I got the car two years ago. If it is not repairable easily, then I'll

check into the Sanden. I know it has leaked off thr refrigerant .

Dick Curtis