Sign in to follow this  
mfg

Museum Reaches Out!

So the Studebaker National Museum has announced it will be a bidder for the 1931 #37 Hunt/Studebaker Special Indy Racer, which is now owned by the family of the late Bob Valpey.

This extremely historic and valuable automobile will be auctioned off by the Gooding's Auction Company at Pebble Beach, Calif. this August. (16th-17th)

The SNM  trustees would like to bring this vehicle back home to South Bend, and they are soliciting pledges from interested individuals and organizations.

With the obvious connection the Avanti Owners Association has with Studebaker, and the Studebaker National Museum, I wondered if the' powers that be' at the AOAI would consider making a substantial pledge?

#37 certainly wont go cheap!!

As an aside, I have a personal connection with this Indianapolis Race Car.....About six years ago Bob Valpey's neighbor and good friend 'Pat' was nice enough to take me for a ride in the racer.

WHAT A THRILL!!,  however, I unwittingly rested my right arm onto the exhaust pipe which runs along the side of the car, and I still carry a small burn scar on the bottom of my arm for making that goof !

WARNING!...The exhaust pipe on the #37 Hunt/Studebaker Special should NOT be used as an arm rest!!:o :D.....Avanti,  Ed

Edited by mfg
Got State wrong!

I would like to see Bob's car end up in the SNM.  BTW, Pebble Beach is in California, not Florida.  

26 minutes ago, studegary said:

I would like to see Bob's car end up in the SNM.  BTW, Pebble Beach is in California, not Florida.  

Thanks Gary, I made that correction.....I'm going down to Fla. for a few days next week, and I guess it's on my mind!

I've been informed that this question will be considered at the next AOAI Board Meeting taking place this July 14.:)

Wow!..#37 sold for one million dollars (plus the additional buyers premium)....Too bad the SNM was outbid though!:(.....Sure hope this rare car will still be 'available' for the public, (us fans), to see!:)

Edited by mfg