Sign in to follow this  
rev ken

windshield wiper motor

how do I remove the three screws that hold the wiper motor to the firewall on my 1980 Avanti?  The screws just 

turn and turn but don't come loose.  Are there nuts inside the car behind the dash?

You're correct...there are nuts behind the dash.  Unless your arms and hands are elastic you'll need another person to help.  One of you has to reach up with a wench to hold the nuts while the other tightens or unscrews it from the top.  

You can also clamp a pair of vise-grips to the nuts and turn the screws out by yourself if you work alone.

A suggestion: I'd remove the negative (ground) cable from the battery before reaching behind the dash with metal tools. John

Edited by Jolly-John

do i remove the fake speaker cover to get to the screws, or do i have to remove the side panel for the counsel

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, Gunslinger said:

You're correct...there are nuts behind the dash.  Unless your arms and hands are elastic you'll need another person to help.  One of you has to reach up with a wench to hold the nuts while the other tightens or unscrews it from the top.  

I know that it is just a "typo", but your use of a "...wench to hold the nuts..."" as an assistant really struck me funny.   

My son and I pulled the wiper motor out today.  To access the nuts behind the dash required removal of the fake speaker grill on top of the dash.  Requires small hands and arms to reach back into the opening to hold the nuts.