Vacuum Gauge Rebuiler?

adamsavanti

54 minutes ago, adamsavanti said:

Can anyone recommend somebody who can rebuild the vacuum gauge in my "64 Avanti, the later version of the '63-64 of vacuum gauges. Or does someone have an extra lying around you'd like to sell?

It's been awhile since I've serviced one of those, but basically you'll need to place the gauge face down on a table....then carefully pry and straighten the gauge outer chrome bezel with a medium size flat screwdriver.

When the gauge is apart, you'll find that varnish has built up over the years from your Avanti's intake system.

Using something like carb cleaner and Q-tips, you'll be able to carefully clean up the inside of the gauge to restore free movement.

Test  by connecting it to a vacuum source before re-assembly!

PS....it's also good practice to replace the rubber hose with a new one, and clean out any varnish build up from inside the intake manifold fitting.....Ed:)

• 2 weeks later...

check out AUTOINSTRUMENTS  47 Ford Street, Martinsville, VA 24112           autoinstruments2@gmail.com or autoinstruments.com   

They did work for me on my 64 SuperHawk R1   reliable and fast turnaround.  I got this referral from Dave Thibeault    .    I don't have their phone number at this time

Mark

Thank you both for your good advice. I took the hose off the gauge, hooked it up to an vacuum gauge I've had for years (engine tuning type gauge) and it works, meaning the dash one obviously doesn't. Now for the BIG QUESTION. How do you get the gauge out? It's in such an inaccessible place and I can't see that the whole instrument panel comes out easily according to the shop manual.

You need the hands of a sex-year old to reach behind the dash and remove the gauge but it can be done.  I believe the shop manual gives instructions for removing gauges individually.  

HINT:  Disconnect the battery under the hood before doing anything behind the dash.

3 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

You need the hands of a sex-year old to reach behind the dash and remove the gauge but it can be done.  I believe the shop manual gives instructions for removing gauges individually.  

HINT:  Disconnect the battery under the hood before doing anything behind the dash.

I am still wondering about that "sex-year" old pulling a vacuum 😃.

mfg had good advice. Took off the upper console plate, removed radio knobs, unscrewed thin nuts holding it in, pushed it BACK out of the way, went to work with a 6 1/2" long nut driver (after trying ratchet with extension), 3/8". (Note I have average size hands and it was hard to get them in there.) Put your hand in facing up, take driver and unscrew the nuts, and be sure to remove both brackets too. Work it out, place on cloth, work screwdriver around and around the bezel till gauge comes out. NOW I have to follow internet advice on how to fix it. More on that later. Thanks for your help everyone!

Finale: one good directed spray with PB Blaster, then one with Gumout and it seemed to be working freely. After watching a You Tube video, learned you can make more of a vacuum like when sucking through a straw vs. inhaling. Stood in front of a mirror and found I could pull the dial all the way over! Put small amount of Sewing Machine oil on the movable points. Back in bezel and the dashboard tomorrow. Thanks for all your ideas!