Mystery Button

tmorefield

I just purchased a 1970 Avanti II this past weekend. While going through and cleaning the car I came across a mysterous button on the drivers side of the dash. It located underneath the dash close to the chrome plate near the door. It is a little black push button. The only thing I can imagine it is for would be the power radio antenna, which does not work on my car. I contacted the previous owner and he was unaware of that button.

Thanks for any help

Tony

I just purchased a 1970 Avanti II this past weekend. While going through and cleaning the car I came across a mysterous button on the drivers side of the dash. It located underneath the dash close to the chrome plate near the door. It is a little black push button. The only thing I can imagine it is for would be the power radio antenna, which does not work on my car. I contacted the previous owner and he was unaware of that button.

Thanks for any help

Tony

car alarm valet button! ;)

In my '70 I found three buttons and switches in that area under the dash. In my case they were the emergency flasher switch, rear defroster switch and the driving lights switch. The driving lights were long gone from the car so the switch was there for no reason and not connected.

• 8 years later...

On the right side Just passed the headlight is some sort of device that sounds like a siren (on my 73Avanti II -RQB-1957) any idea what it is ? I found buttons and a toggle switch also under the dash on drivers side. Thanks every one for your help. Dave

Without the production order for your car you won't know if the switches were factory installed for an extra cost option or added by a previous owner. You can try following the wiring (if there's any left) and see where they go.

One of the buttons could be for an electric trunk release (if your car has one). If the device you found sounds like a siren it's probably part of an alarm system someone installed.

Avanti Motors also began adding electric door locks as an option...it's possible that could be one of the switches but I don't believe Avanti Motors added that until sometime in the 1975 or 1976 model years when they changed to a different door lock arrangement.

After so many years, anything could have been added.

My 76 has a toggle type switch on the bottom of the dash on the lower left corner, its down far enough that you can hit it with your knee when getting out of the car. That switch is the automatic door lock switch. It had me panicked once at a gas station in the late fall with windows up. One of the guys I was traveling with had a worn pentagram shaped Chrysler key he was able to wiggle around in the door lock and unlock the door.