Avanti 'R3' Powered!

Between South Bend and the Paxton Products Division, ......?..... R3 powered 1964 Daytonas were built by Studebaker.

1) Two.......2) Three.......3) Four.....or.....4) Five

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Between South Bend and the Paxton Products Division, ......?..... R3 powered 1964 Daytonas were built by Studebaker.

1) Two.......2) Three.......3) Four.....or.....4) Five

2) Three

I'll say uncle. Tell us, oh wise one, the answer. :D  (and list the cars if at all possible)

I would have said three, just like Gary.......the production line R3 hardtop, the R3 convertible that set the records at Bonneville, and maybe a backup  (??) R3 convertible at Bonneville.

9 hours ago, r1lark said:

I'll say uncle. Tell us, oh wise one, the answer. :D  (and list the cars if at all possible)

I would have said three, just like Gary.......the production line R3 hardtop, the R3 convertible that set the records at Bonneville, and maybe a backup  (??) R3 convertible at Bonneville.

The answer here is TWO!:o......The  R3  '64 Daytona Hardtop used in the HRM roadtest, and the Paxton Division R3 '64 Daytona Convertible used to set the Bonneville records.

There was no "backup" R3 Daytona Convertible at Bonneville in 1963!:(

Edited by mfg
On 11/23/2018 at 5:34 PM, mfg said:

There was no "backup" R3 Daytona Convertible at Bonneville in 1963!:(

I'll have to push back on you a little Ed. ???

Do you have access to an accurate list of the cars that the Granatellis took to Bonneville in late 1963? Or, a good quality photo of the car carrier with the Larks and Hawks loaded on it? From the one poor picture I've found in a magazine article, it looks like there are more than two '64 convertibles with numbers on the side.

Two points for you to consider: 

1) The Granatellis took TWO Lark F-body Skybolt Six cars (numbers 6 & 7) to Bonneville, so why wouldn't they take a backup R3 Daytona convertible?

2) The January 1964 Hot Rod Magazine article 'Bonneville Wrap-Up', page 82: "The girls were relegated to a backup car and were instructed to simply keep the car un-bent and finish the run. This time it was the convertibles again, Joe and Vince in a supercharged convertible and the girls in a sister car.'

This isn't about the trivia question...........it's much more about history of what cars were there, especially the R3 and R4 Larks and Hawks. 

Edited by r1lark
Added "in late 1963"

Very interesting thoughts r1!.....It looks to me that there were only two convertibles on the carrier......the #1 car, an R3, and the #2 car, an R4.

As far as the girls being relegated to a backup sister car....the sister car was definitely car #2, the R4 powered convertible.

I wonder how the Avantis (car #8 & #9) got there?....They definitely weren't on the carrier with the others!:huh: