Headache registrating Avanti ll

NHcamper

I went to register my 82’ today. My City Hall experience was interesting to say the least. I handed the clerk my bill of sale and NV title and that’s when the fun began lol. First issue no data on Avanti ll in system, trip to the Supervisor. Second issue vin came back as non compliant, back to the supervisor. Third issue MSRP and weight had to be determined. I helped out in that department, looked up info on my phone and showed it to the clerk, no trip to the supervisor. It only took 1hr. to get through the process. The funniest thing is when I looked at the reg. It says 1982 Studebaker Avanti. Interesting enough the clerk had never reg. an Avanti in all her years at City Hall. Not many Avanti’s in Manchester NH. LOL

You should have used Avanti for the brand and Avanti II for the model.  Even in New York, I have had success that way.  I would not settle for Studebaker as a brand (explain that they have not made a car since 1966). 

When I first got a title here in Washington, I went through the whole process with the clerk and paid the cost of the new title and registration. It wasn't until I got home I realized that she had registered it as a 1973 Alfa Romeo. Needless to say, I had to make a trip back to the County Auditors office.

I tried to explain the difference but the supervisor was calling the shots. NH is a non title State and I have the open NV title so I’m not worried the vin matches on all the paperwork. Just another story to tell about our experiences owning one of these “exotic” cars.

This problem has become much more common now that DMVs are using computerized data bases whose data were entered by morons.  I first registered my 74 Avanti II in DC in 1992, and the clerk used a well-worn book to verify the VIN.  The make on the registration was correctly shown as 1974 Avanti. 

That was then, this is now: when I recently renewed my historic plates, the make shown on the new registration certificate is "1974 Studebaker".  By contrast, the make shown on the registration form for my 64 Daytona is " 1964 unknown".

Yeah, I'd plan to just practice my "surprised look" for the day you sell it, and settle for anything reasonable while you own it. Went through a similar ordeal registering a chopper made from 1972 CB750 bike. It's an AMEN frame, Savior model, mfr. title from another State. Kept going around and around until some Honda car from/for the SE Asian market, so when the possibly 12 year old counter guy pointed excitedly and said, "There it is!" I quickly matched his excitement and said, "Yeah!". After what seemed like an hour, it only took another 5 minutes before he hit the PRINT button and I was heading to the next window with my checkbook. On older vehicles, I figure the name of the game is "get plates, get title/registration, and get out the door" and all I want is a X in the WIN column. :ph34r: