Avanti R5269!

mfg

It's one of the Sears/Allstate cars and is still all original...hoses, belts, etc., with only somewhat over 4k miles on it.  It was also spotlighted in a back issue of Hemmings Classic Cars.

2 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

It's one of the Sears/Allstate cars and is still all original...hoses, belts, etc., with only somewhat over 4k miles on it.  It was also spotlighted in a back issue of Hemmings Classic Cars.

That's it!!....One EXTREMELY original Studebaker Avanti!:)

Is this one of the Avantis that I used to visit at Joe Erdelac's dealership?  I know that he bought an Allstate car and had it shipped back from California because he did want to put miles on it (unusual at the time).

Hmm! Makes me wonder. My 1963 Avanti ( built 12/1962 ) has a Sears Allstate spare tire. It appears used but very original. Could it be a Allstate car or just have a replacement tire? Is there a list of serial numbers for the "Sears/Allstate cars, how many were there? Thanks!

I take my question back. After re-reading the initial question from "mfg", I see that the car in question is # 5269. My car is 2318. Probably too many cars apart to make my car a Allstate car! Thanks.

8 hours ago, schuyler said:

I take my question back. After re-reading the initial question from "mfg", I see that the car in question is # 5269. My car is 2318. Probably too many cars apart to make my car a Allstate car! Thanks.

I believe that your car is much too early to be an Allstate car.  The production order tells what the car came with, including tires.  The car in question seems late to be an Allstate car (probably at the end of the run), but I do not know how many they made and if they were sequential.  I owned an Allstate Avanti, IIRC it was 5176. 

20 hours ago, studegary said:

I believe that your car is much too early to be an Allstate car.  The production order tells what the car came with, including tires.  The car in question seems late to be an Allstate car (probably at the end of the run), but I do not know how many they made and if they were sequential.  I owned an Allstate Avanti, IIRC it was 5176. 

I also believe that I (years ago) also owned one of the Sears-Allstate Avantis!....It was a true '64, with the typical 'Avanti Red' exterior paint and black/woodgrain interior.

It also featured the R1 engine, Powershift transmission and power steering...and the desirable 'manual windows'!

As far as the factory installed tires go, this Avanti's (R5180) production order reads this way.........."51A  670   White All State Tires":)

3 hours ago, mfg said:

I also believe that I (years ago) also owned one of the Sears-Allstate Avantis!....It was a true '64, with the typical 'Avanti Red' exterior paint and black/woodgrain interior.

It also featured the R1 engine, Powershift transmission and power steering...and the desirable 'manual windows'!

As far as the factory installed tires go, this Avanti's (R5180) production order reads this way.........."51A  670   White All State Tires":)

My 5176 was originally the same color, interior and options as your car.  At that time, there were several built in a row that were identical.

• 2 weeks later...