Rear view mirrors keep falling off and breaking....Advice needed

TMA62

I need some advice regarding rear view mirrors mounted on the inside windshield. I have lost two rear view mirrors in the last 2 years. I mounted these mirrors using either Permatex or 3M mirror adhesives. I followed the instructions to the letter. The result: mirrors that will stay mounted for a short time only to fall off, hit the console and then cracked the mirror. I now have 2 cracked mirrors that I need to get repaired.

That have you done to mount your mirrors permanently on your glass? What adhesive did you use? Have you run into problems like I have encountered? Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.
Edited by TMA62

I have remounted windshield mirrors with results that lasted at least for years in all types of weather.  I used denatured alcohol to clean the glass.  I followed the directions, including leaving a pan of water near the mirror in a closed up car while they "cured". 

I followed the directions exactly and have had no problem but do notice that if you bump the mirror it doesn't take much to knock it off the windshield so I am real careful with it.

A83

When I worked in a body shop years ago we changed windshields and glued on dozens of mirror brackets. We would clean the glass, put the glue on the bracket, and hold it tight to the proper spot on the windshield for 30 seconds or so. We would then wash the inside of the windshield and then mount the mirror. You could let your bracket “ cure” overnight. Most of the time they stuck fine, but every once and awhile one would fall off just sitting out in the sun. Too bad it breaks the mirror. Maybe you could mount a lighter one. 

Just out of curiosity, is your mirror mounted high on the windshield or down low? I remember seeing a 69 that had it mounted low. I’m 6’5” and rear view mirrors are a bit of a pet peeve as they block part of my view since I can’t really see under them. Thinking of lowering the one on my 83 like some of the early cars.