Correct Wheel Size for Replacement

chuck

I plan on replacing the wheels and tires on my 82 with aluminum wheels, probably Torque Thrust wheels.  I know this has been discussed before-what is the best width and back spacing to use.  If I remember 6 inch wide with 3.5 inches of backspacing?  Running 205/75-15s now-not much room for anymore up front.

chuck

RQB-3553

Edited by chuck

The Avanti isn't like modern cars that have plenty of room designed into the wheel wells...well the rear wheel well has a good amount of room but the front is the limiting factor.  A 15"x6" is probably optimum with a standard offset.  A 7" wide rim many work depending on the tire size used and whether the coil springs are in good shape or compressed.  If there compressed, even a 6" rim can cause tire rub on the car body (I know from experience).  Standard offset is pretty much a wheel that the spacing  centered on the wheel width or close to it.  

Your P205/75R15 tires should do fine.  I have P215/70R15 tires on 15"x6" Magnum 500 wheels and have no problems.  On a '63 I used to own I had 6" wide Keystone rims on the car with P205/75R15 tires and on a bump the tires would hit the lip of the body because the coil springs were compressed.  New springs cured the condition.  

Yeah, my front springs are original.  I did cut back the wheel arch lip already 'cause it was hitting on hard bumps.  I might have 215's on it now that I think about it.

chuck

RQB-3553