Thermal insulation

Billy Shears

I am about to have my 1963 Avanti repainted, and I have obtained an interior kit from Rene Harger at Southeast Studebaker, which I mean to install when I get the newly-repainted car back.  I mean to install insulation under the carpet and vinyl, and I have looked at Dynamat of course, but that, and most of the other products I have looked at are more for sound than thermal insulation.  I don't care so much about sound; I want to keep the heat out of the passenger compartment, especially from the transmission tunnel.  Does anybody have any experience with this, and have a thermal insulation they recommend?

Depends on what you want to spend. Lizard Skin is probably the best for heat. I've used Fatmat Megamat on my 83 with good results and again on my 74. You can buy foil/foam/foil insulation at Big Box stores if you want to keep the cost down.

Never buy asphalt based insulation no matter how it's advertised. Melts/runs/smells.

36 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

I am about to have my 1963 Avanti repainted, and I have obtained an interior kit from Rene Harger at Southeast Studebaker, which I mean to install when I get the newly-repainted car back.  I mean to install insulation under the carpet and vinyl, and I have looked at Dynamat of course, but that, and most of the other products I have looked at are more for sound than thermal insulation.  I don't care so much about sound; I want to keep the heat out of the passenger compartment, especially from the transmission tunnel.  Does anybody have any experience with this, and have a thermal insulation they recommend?

If your 1963 Avanti has not had a Console Cooling Kit installed, I suggest/recommend starting with that.  Refer to Studebaker Service Letter F-1964-6, dated 12/5/63.  The Console Cooling Kit is part number 1562554.  This kit is designed to get the heat out of the transmission tunnel. Also, be sure that any openings, like around the shifter, are well sealed.  

15 minutes ago, studegary said:

If your 1963 Avanti has not had a Console Cooling Kit installed, I suggest/recommend starting with that.  Refer to Studebaker Service Letter F-1964-6, dated 12/5/63.  The Console Cooling Kit is part number 1562554.  This kit is designed to get the heat out of the transmission tunnel. Also, be sure that any openings, like around the shifter, are well sealed.  

I don't know if it has or not; I'll certainly look.  Where can you find the letter?  I googled it, but the one site that has a list of files for these service letters, the link to open the file doesn't work.