Avanti Surplus!

mfg

In September of 1989, what happened at Youngstown Ohio's  Avanti Motors plant that reduced the amount of surplus Avanti parts shipped down from the (then closed) South Bend Avanti plant?

47 minutes ago, mfg said:

In September of 1989, what happened at Youngstown Ohio's  Avanti Motors plant that reduced the amount of surplus Avanti parts shipped down from the (then closed) South Bend Avanti plant?

There were big cash flow problems in that period.  ISTR that they held a large parts sale at that time.  

1 hour ago, studegary said:

There were big cash flow problems in that period.  ISTR that they held a large parts sale at that time.  

Good info, and you are CORRECT! (Apparently an auction was held,.....and I really wish I could have been there!!)

In 1988 (if I remember the year correctly)  in conjunction with the SDC International Meet, Avanti Motors had a large amount of NOS parts for sale at the factory location. I bought a good bit of stuff at what seemed to be very reasonable to almost fire sale prices. :)

5 minutes ago, r1lark said:

In 1988 (if I remember the year correctly)  in conjunction with the SDC International Meet, Avanti Motors had a large amount of NOS parts for sale at the factory location. I bought a good bit of stuff at what seemed to be very reasonable to almost fire sale prices. :)

I'd like to hear about some of the things you purchased....how about a further reminisce?

2 hours ago, r1lark said:

In 1988 the SDC Convention was in South Bend.  I drove my 1987 Avanti to that one (First Place).  I went by the Youngstown Avanti factory site on my way home, but I did not buy anything.  By "factory location" I assume that you mean Youngstown and not the previous location in South Bend.   

26 minutes ago, studegary said:

In 1988 the SDC Convention was in South Bend.  I drove my 1987 Avanti to that one (First Place).  I went by the Youngstown Avanti factory site on my way home, but I did not buy anything.  By "factory location" I assume that you mean Youngstown and not the previous location in South Bend.   

Guess I should have said the "former factory location" - yes, in South Bend. I assume this was stuff that they didn't haul to Youngstown. It was laying on the floor in rows. I know I got several sets of traction bars, brackets, rear U-bolts, etc. Stuff that I would use on Larks and Hawks.